Greetings from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tancho_kuhaku

5 Year Member
Hi guys, im practically new in tortoise keeping and have been researching and reading on how to properly take care of these gentle giants.

my question is how or which sulcata would i pick? i mean, aside from healthy, lively specimens what else do i need to look for on the shell itself?( something like pattern/color/shape) for a good specimen?

cause ive noticed some sulcatas having different shape/pattern on their shell, hatchling and adults alike. some looks pleasing some looks weird, so i dont know which is which when it comes to the standard.

i hope ive explained my concern clearly...
thanks guys!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tancho_kuhaku:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your problem.

Just look for one that has bright, beady eyes, is active and alert. A smooth shell would be nice, but a little bit of pyramiding (bumpy shell) isn't life-threatening.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Hi there and welcome!!
An important thing about buying a sulcata (any tortoise really ) is to make sure that they were raised the proper way with humidity and daily soaks and mistings. You should ask whoever you get it from to send lots pictures and explain in detail how they keep them. If you can I would get one that has a very smooth shell , if they were kept proper like I explain about though they probably will.
How ever if you want a really good Sulcata I would get one from Tom (here on the forum) I just bought two from him and they are flawless and super healthy. Can't go wrong with him if you want a good, heathly, smooth tortoise.
As for the shell coloration thing they all look pretty much the same..They have ivory ones and albino ones but those are very expensive.
Can't wait to see your new little tortoise :)

laramie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
Welcome to TFO! Nice to meet you. When you do get a tort, please post some pics, we love pics here:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.