Greetings! Introduction and question about skin color change

sevenup2006

Location (City and/or State)
Canton, OH
Good morning!

I was gifted a small Sulcata tortoise on November 4th. I have raised some turtles and tortoises before, but this is my first Sulcata. Luckily, I found this community last week as everything I was told by pet stores, my vet, and library books was quite outdated. For the last 8 days, I have been following Tom's excellent guide "The Best Way to Raise a Sulcata."

Morla seems quite happy: active, eating well, pooping/peeing daily during her soaks, and gaining weight. 11 days ago she was 2 7/16" SCL and 49g, and this morning weighed in at 64g. She eats mostly weeds and grass (dandelion greens are her favorite), with some (<20%) collard greens, kale, and Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise food. I sprinkle her greens lightly with Miner-All twice a week. Also, I gave her a spoonful of pumpkin as a treat last week which she devoured. For substrate I have 1" of Fir bark on top of 3" of Coco Coir. Her 4x4x2' (LxWxH) enclosure is 80-83°F 24/7 with a basking area reaching 99°F during the day. Humidity ranges from 82-93%. I use a CRE on a thermostat with an Exo Terra Sun-Glo (not Solar/Mercury Vapor) for her basking light on a 12-hour timer. I purchased a Zoo Med Reptisun Desert Compact Florescent prior to finding this group, but never installed it due to vision concerns. I am still looking for a local UVB option that meet the guide recommendations. Would this Zoo Med Reptisun florescent be considerably better than the long compact I purchase originally? I was hoping to get the Arcadia that seems so highly recommended but can find only the Zoo Med locally.

My only real concern right now is the color changes I have noticed in her face. When I got her, her face was very light, but it has darkened considerably, see picture below. Is this normal and okay?
Should I switch out the basking bulb for a regular incandescent flood bulb? It was on sale for $1 and emits no UVB so I thought it would be okay. Is the UVA from the bulb causing the darkening? She spends a majority of the day napping under the bulb. Also, I have never once seen her in her humid hide box.

Lastly, I am guessing she is about 3.5 months old based on her size. Does that sound reasonable?

Thank you all so much for sharing your expertise!

Attachments

• 20231115_063732.jpg
    20231115_063732.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231103_204743.jpg
    20231103_204743.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
If you use Amazon you can get the light assembly with bulb there. I don't know much about sulcada's the Temps and humidity levels look great. Tom's guides are good one's to follow. And the little tort is cute.
Also welcome fellow Buckeye state member. I'm about 1.5 hours south east of you.

Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit - 12% UVB Desert, 24 Inch (Bulb & Fixture) https://a.co/d/dC0B5hS

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
1. T5 lamps are considered to be safe for tortoise eyes, any compact fluorescent - not. I'm pretty sure, there should be a topic on forum with spectral analysis and/or explanations why (I still need to search for it).
2. ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 you linked in your post are decent lamps as well. Arcadia maybe more long-lasting, but not that much. When run for 3-4 hours a day it should be enough for a year or so.
3. Lamp fixture from ZooMed might be overpriced (they only offer terrarium hoods, but I'm not 100% sure). However compatible fixture could be found in hardware stores. Or on Amazon.
4. Heat lamp you have said it emits IR-A. While any incadescent lamps do so, halogen lamps have indeed more intense IR-A output, especially in some parts of spectrum, which usually filtered by atmosphere water vapour. Since distance between tortoise and the lamps is nowhere comparable with atmosphere thickness, these IR-A bands are absorbed by water in top layers of skin and shell. That result in excessive heating and drying of top layers without deep heating. I cannot state this results in skin darkening, but it's the reason to change Sun-Glo lamp for an old could incandescent.

sevenup2006

Canton, OH
@mojo_1 Nice to meet someone local. Thank you for the Amazon link. With that link my Firefox plug-in found it at Pangea Reptiles for only $76 with shipping. Much appreciated!
@mark1 Maybe! I hadn't considered that.
@Alex and the Redfoot I switched out the heat lamp and replaced with the regular incandescent. Thanks for the information on IR-A and lamp fixtures!
@Yvonne G Thank you, glad it is nothing to worry about.