Hello from a new tortoise owner!

Teal

Location (City and/or State)
Vermont
Hi everyone!

I adopted a tortoise from a friend of mine about a month ago. He had Travis for about 16 years but no longer wanted to take care of her, so I said that I would be happy to take her on. I had wanted a tortoise since I was very young, so I was so excited to bring her into my home!

My friend had been keeping her in a very small tank where she couldn't even fit under the shaded area. It looked as though she was in the same area for 16 years straight, so I splurged on a new and bigger home for her (Tortoise House by Zoo Med). I fill the house with Zoo Med's Forest Floor Bedding and change that once a week.

I dust her food with calcium every other day, and I also dust with vitamins once a week. She also has a cuttlebone to chew on. I have been feeding her a variety of greens, including dandelion greens, escarole, chickory, collard greens, and radicchio. I try to give her two different kinds a day so she has variety in her diet.

I am still feeling very new to this whole process, and I would love some advice on how to better care for my new tortoise. I have been feeding her every day an amount about the size of my hand, but I have no idea if this is too much or too little. I also know that she shouldn't be eating only greens, but I can't get her to eat any of the fiber-filled food that you can buy at the pet store. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Teal and Travis

IMG_0445.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Teal!

I'm sure Travis is happy to be out of that small enclosure, however, what you've moved up to is still too small. It looks to me as if your tortoise may be a hingeback tortoise. Can we see more pictures of the tortoise, top, side and bottom views, just to be sure. Hingeback tortoises require different care and habitats from run of the mill tortoises.

Teal

Vermont
Welcome to the Forum, Teal!

I'm sure Travis is happy to be out of that small enclosure, however, what you've moved up to is still too small. It looks to me as if your tortoise may be a hingeback tortoise. Can we see more pictures of the tortoise, top, side and bottom views, just to be sure. Hingeback tortoises require different care and habitats from run of the mill tortoises.

Hi there! I am attaching multiple photos!

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 35

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome Teal, sounds like you are trying hard to do the right things for your new tortoise, you came to the right place to learn what will work best for her !
m1272.gif

Teal

Vermont
Hi all!

I posted a bit ago, and I haven't heard back from anyone about identifying my tortoise. I would love some information about her species so I could take the best care of her!

Thanks!

Teal and Travis

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Me neither, but hopefully a more knowledgeable member will be along soon! :p

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi all!

I posted a bit ago, and I haven't heard back from anyone about identifying my tortoise. I would love some information about her species so I could take the best care of her!

Thanks!

Teal and Travis

View attachment 142523 View attachment 142524 View attachment 142525 View attachment 142526 View attachment 142527
Hi there. It's definitely a hingebacks. @tortadise @juli11 or @FLINTUS should be able to help with the exact species. Are you bathing your tort. Looks a bit dry. See if she will eat some worms,slugs or snails.

Teal

Vermont
Hi there. It's definitely a hingebacks. @tortadise @juli11 or @FLINTUS should be able to help with the exact species. Are you bathing your tort. Looks a bit dry. See if she will eat some worms,slugs or snails.

I actually just started bathing Travis once a week! Those pictures are from a few weeks ago, though, so she definitely looks better now. Are the worms that one can buy at a bait/tackle shop okay to feed her?

Thanks so much for your help!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Definilty a western Bell hingeback kinixys belliana nogyuie. They're aweskme tortoises. These guys are omnivors so they will eat worms, snails and boiled eggs for protein.