New Sulcata owner, Day 1

Hartacus

Location (City and/or State)
Williamsburg, Virginia
Hello! Glad I found this forum right away. I just rescued a young Sulcata last night. A co-worker was unable to keep her after unforseen circumstances. I've been reading a lot of the posts and comments to make sure I do everything properly to get this little one set up properly. If anyone can help guide me I would very much appreciate it. Only thing I've purchased so far is fresh food that I researched from this group today.
Currently she is in a 20 gallon reptile tank that she came in. A hide half log, food and water dishes as well. At this moment the heat source is a 100w intense basking spot (Exo Terra). There's also a (Zoo Med) ReptiSun 10.0 UVB. She also came with a (Zoo Med) 75w red heat bulb that is not currently in use. The bedding is a mix of (Zoo Med) Eco Earth and (Zoo Med) 100% natural cypress mulch. Along with two cheaper stick on thermometers. Basking area is averaging 95° F and they opposite side of enclosure is averaging 75-80. I just moved the set up into a warmer room of the house to help till I get every prepared correctly. A/C vent closed in that room to keep it warmer.

I plan on getting a CHE with thermostat very soon. And looking at bigger enclosures, if anyone has any suggestions for that as well I'd appreciate it. But aside from the CHE and thermostat what light / heat / UVB source should I be using? I live in Eastern Virginia and my house stays average 67°-70°year round. Aside from all that I gave her a soak today and she's very active and eating. Can provide pictures if it will help in any way! Thanks in advance :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old and big is she? Post a pic of her. The aquarium as you likely figured out already is way too small even for a hatchling.
The enclosure will depend on her size.
A tube florescent uvb bulb for uvb and an incandescent flood bulb for basking.
The che is good when added heat is needed. The red bulb do not use.
Get digital thermometer that also reads humidity. Humidity should be 80% in the whole enclosure depending on her size, otherwise a humid hide with high humidity and some humidity in the enclosure will work, but that's mainly for 3 year olds and up.
If she is under 3 or 10 inches she should be in a closed chamber.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Once your new friend gets bigger. You will need a large enclosure. Type in sulcata enclosure in the search window here. It will give you ideas of what you will need for outside in the winter months. Tom has perfected the outside enclosure. The digital thermometer/hydrometer looks like this. They sell online and also home depot/Lowe's. Get at least 2 and place low in the enclosure where your tort is. Also a infrared temp gun is very useful. You can take temps instantly anywhere in your enclosure. Screenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221015-195115_Chrome.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! Glad I found this forum right away. I just rescued a young Sulcata last night. A co-worker was unable to keep her after unforseen circumstances. I've been reading a lot of the posts and comments to make sure I do everything properly to get this little one set up properly. If anyone can help guide me I would very much appreciate it. Only thing I've purchased so far is fresh food that I researched from this group today.
Currently she is in a 20 gallon reptile tank that she came in. A hide half log, food and water dishes as well. At this moment the heat source is a 100w intense basking spot (Exo Terra). There's also a (Zoo Med) ReptiSun 10.0 UVB. She also came with a (Zoo Med) 75w red heat bulb that is not currently in use. The bedding is a mix of (Zoo Med) Eco Earth and (Zoo Med) 100% natural cypress mulch. Along with two cheaper stick on thermometers. Basking area is averaging 95° F and they opposite side of enclosure is averaging 75-80. I just moved the set up into a warmer room of the house to help till I get every prepared correctly. A/C vent closed in that room to keep it warmer.

I plan on getting a CHE with thermostat very soon. And looking at bigger enclosures, if anyone has any suggestions for that as well I'd appreciate it. But aside from the CHE and thermostat what light / heat / UVB source should I be using? I live in Eastern Virginia and my house stays average 67°-70°year round. Aside from all that I gave her a soak today and she's very active and eating. Can provide pictures if it will help in any way! Thanks in advance :)
Start here and look for the sulcata care sheet, plus the heating lighting breakdown near the bottom:

Hartacus

Williamsburg, Virginia
How old and big is she? Post a pic of her. The aquarium as you likely figured out already is way too small even for a hatchling.
The enclosure will depend on her size.
A tube florescent uvb bulb for uvb and an incandescent flood bulb for basking.
The che is good when added heat is needed. The red bulb do not use.
Get digital thermometer that also reads humidity. Humidity should be 80% in the whole enclosure depending on her size, otherwise a humid hide with high humidity and some humidity in the enclosure will work, but that's mainly for 3 year olds and up.
If she is under 3 or 10 inches she should be in a closed chamber.
Sorry for the late reply! She's almost 3inches long. Still gathering research to get everything right the first time. I'm trying to find good examples of enclosed tortoise enclosure for her. Everything I'm seeing looks like it may be hard to keep the level of humidity needed without using a humidifier or a makeshift setup to help trap moisture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803_095853_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_095853_Gallery.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-107085916.jpg
    Snapchat-107085916.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230803_095944_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_095944_Gallery.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 4

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
He is a cutie! Just looking at the pictures your substrate is to dry. Think if you put that substrate in a bucket of water and let it soak. That's how wet it should be. Spraying water won't get you there. Just pour water in and get it to the point. That the substrate is wet but little to no standing water. If you don't have a solid top on the aquarium. Put tin foil on the top to hold in heat and humidity for now.

Hartacus

Williamsburg, Virginia
He is a cutie! Just looking at the pictures your substrate is to dry. Think if you put that substrate in a bucket of water and let it soak. That's how wet it should be. Spraying water won't get you there. Just pour water in and get it to the point. That the substrate is wet but little to no standing water. If you don't have a solid top on the aquarium. Put tin foil on the top to hold in heat and humidity for now.
I'll definitely try that tin foil over the metal mesh top till I find a proper enclosure. And I did change out the substrate to eco earth that was soaked in water and mixed it with 100% natural cypress mulch. Sorry the pictures were from day one. But I will spray more to keep it moist. I appreciate the feedback so much!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I'll definitely try that tin foil over the metal mesh top till I find a proper enclosure. And I did change out the substrate to eco earth that was soaked in water and mixed it with 100% natural cypress mulch. Sorry the pictures were from day one. But I will spray more to keep it moist. I appreciate the feedback so much!
Spraying probably won't keep it wet enough. Get used to just pouring water in. You will learn how much. Some members suggest pouring in each corner.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with the pouring. However if you can make the enclosure a closed chamber enclosure you won't have to keep adding water as often.