Grocery Store Plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
It's heading towards winter and I (I suspect most other people in northern Canada also) am wondering which grocery greens are better health wise. Weeds are going to start being a minority soon, so I hoped to get a jump on this.

Any lists you can think up would be great!

MistyChee'

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuma, AZ
I have read ALOT about people using the "spring mix" lettuces. I know my tortoises LOVE the stuff. I'm still new to all this but that is my opinion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens (might be labelled as chicory), endive, escarole

Any dark leaf greens that you can buy for yourself would be ok to feed your tortoise. The trick is to not get tied into using only one or two different varieties. Mix it up.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
And if you're worried about spoiling, place them in large zip bags or containers with a damp cloth or paper towel :) we do this with our greens and they last us 2-3 times longer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been told that endive is a good staple, but variety is very important.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
I've been giving him salad mixes, endive, clover sprouts, and watercress. I just constantly feel like its not enough, I must have guilty owner syndrome because he can't live outside anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.