Grow lights for torts?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
IMG_4954.JPG IMG_4957.PNG IMG_4957.PNG Since I'm keeping a bedroom in my house warm and lit up for the 2 Russian tortoises this winter I thought "Why not grow some veggies and keep my houseplants happy?" So a friend who grows Marajuana (yes in Oregon everyone knows at least one grower ;) gave me two giant light fixtures that hold 8 4ft T8's each. They have HO blue spectrum bulbs in them. Half the bulbs are blown so I need new ones. Should I get red spectrum bulbs or full spectrum? Will these bulbs take care of the torts needs? Are there any harmful effects from these types of bulbs? Lastly, how high should I mount something like this? One of the photos is of the light fixtures and the other is the type of bulbs that are in them now.
Thank you!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The full spectrum bulbs might help with the tortoises mood but wouldn't provide any UVB. Fluorescent grow bulbs are usually put really close to the plants, closer than I would be comfortable with putting to a tortoise. If I used a fixture like that for tortoises (ambient light) I'd probably put it at ceiling height. I think it'd work more for lighting a reptile room than individual enclosures. Outside of growing, those lights are used for warehouse lighting typically mounted 15+ feet above the ground, they are used in place of 400w HID lights.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Jaizei. I would be afraid the brightness at the height in an enclosure would fry their eyes

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The image and tube description indicate T5 HO fixtures and light while your narrative indicates T8's, at 54 watts I am figuring 4 foot (actually 46 inches) T5 HO fixtures and tubes.

If you have plenty of cover in your enclosure 18 inches to two feet away should be good. Especially if you include T5 HO uva/uvb tubes in those fixtures. At too much a greater distance you will loose efficacy of the UV spectrum. As bright as it may seem, compared to being outside in direct sun the tube array is no brighter than the sun. That's why people who grow plants inside place them close to the plants. But also consider tortoises have many cover options in the great outdoors too, so that is why I suggest they have plenty of cover.

If for red-foots or a other forest species I'd back that giant array to several feet, and use a single tube fixture close to the tortoises for uva/uvb, if for leopards or sulcata no worries.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0241.JPG IMG_0241.JPG
The image and tube description indicate T5 HO fixtures and light while your narrative indicates T8's, at 54 watts I am figuring 4 foot (actually 46 inches) T5 HO fixtures and tubes.

If you have plenty of cover in your enclosure 18 inches to two feet away should be good. Especially if you include T5 HO uva/uvb tubes in those fixtures. At too much a greater distance you will loose efficacy of the UV spectrum. As bright as it may seem, compared to being outside in direct sun the tube array is no brighter than the sun. That's why people who grow plants inside place them close to the plants. But also consider tortoises have many cover options in the great outdoors too, so that is why I suggest they have plenty of cover.

If for red-foots or a other forest species I'd back that giant array to several feet, and use a single tube fixture close to the tortoises for uva/uvb, if for leopards or sulcata no worries.
Oh yes, T5's is what they are. You're right. There are lots of hides and covered areas in the enclosures so that shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like the only problem is that at such a close proximity to the substrate I don't imagine nearby plants will get much benefit. I'd need to suspend it low and directly over enclosures. Maybe I need separate tort lights and plant light.