Grow tents:

Myakoda

Location (City and/or State)
AZ.
Hi, does anyone else on here use grow tents for their Sulcata's? If so can anyone help me and advise me on how you have set your tents up. I bought one, and am very confused on how this is done properly? Myakoda will be a year old in September, we found her in the hot street when she was a hatchling. She's so sweet, we need more humidity for her, so we bought a grow tent, the largest one they had. I know a lot of people here have them, any help would be very much appreciated. I'm having a lot of anxiety, I need to get her in it soon. She needs more humidity.? Thank you so much. :):tort:

Attachments

• 113332246_576686339877207_4751522742864709116_n.png
    113332246_576686339877207_4751522742864709116_n.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 40

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi, does anyone else on here use grow tents for their Sulcata's? If so can anyone help me and advise me on how you have set your tents up. I bought one, and am very confused on how this is done properly? Myakoda will be a year old in September, we found her in the hot street when she was a hatchling. She's so sweet, we need more humidity for her, so we bought a grow tent, the largest one they had. I know a lot of people here have them, any help would be very much appreciated. I'm having a lot of anxiety, I need to get her in it soon. She needs more humidity.? Thank you so much. :):tort:

Reads largest one they had but then sees the 55x55x80 in the picture. ? I'm teasing.

This is news to me. I've only seen one example of a tortoise owner using a grow tent.

1. Does it come with a waterproof liner with high enough sides to prevent the tortoise from clawing at the inner mylar material of the grow tent? Because if you want high humidity you're going to need to keep the substrate damp at all times. That usually means keeping the bottom layer wet while the top stays relatively damp. To achieve that you're going to need a deep substrate level to allow the bottom layer time to soak up all the excess liquid.

nicoleann2214

NY
Reads largest one they had but then sees the 55x55x80 in the picture. ? I'm teasing.

This is news to me. I've only seen one example of a tortoise owner using a grow tent.

1. Does it come with a waterproof liner with high enough sides to prevent the tortoise from clawing at the inner mylar material of the grow tent? Because if you want high humidity you're going to need to keep the substrate damp at all times. That usually means keeping the bottom layer wet while the top stays relatively damp. To achieve that you're going to need a deep substrate level to allow the bottom layer time to soak up all the excess liquid.
You’re gonna need something to put on the bottom I suggest a tarp that’s what I’m using but make sure you water proof it good (I didn’t) and mine leaked.

nicoleann2214

NY
@Srmcclure

nicoleann2214

NY
Here is a older photo of mine, i just recently cleaned it out and rearranged for more space, and took the tarp out and duct taped the holes that are used for ventilation so nothing could escape and then put the tarp back over. I’m gonna be upgrading soon they grow quick!!!

Attachments

• 017F55F4-4F0D-4DE9-84FC-CC8950EA3415.jpeg
    017F55F4-4F0D-4DE9-84FC-CC8950EA3415.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 89

Myakoda

AZ.

Lol, my husband said it was the biggest one they had. It's for growing plants, so I would think so. We just got ir, I am going to put a tarp under it per another member on here who has one.

nicoleann2214

NY
Lol, my husband said it was the biggest one they had. It's for growing plants, so I would think so. We just got ir, I am going to put a tarp under it per another member on here who has one.
Yes I suggest it as well or you’ll have a damp bottom or even leaking. That’s what happened to me at first ?

Myakoda

AZ.
Yes I suggest it as well or you’ll have a damp bottom or even leaking. That’s what happened to me at first ?
So what kind of tarp/material do you use? Also do you have one inside too? BTW, looks great! :) No plastic inside right? Someone said they had plastic inside, this is what's confusing me, yet seems so simple ugh!

Last edited:

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Yea i did the same my first one. That why I put a tarp inside and taped it all around so I didn't have sitting moisture. The silver mylar in there is water proof, but the seems aren't so the will get damp and pull moisture to the bottom. The bottom tarp is my im crazy paranoid tarp lol ?

nicoleann2214

NY
So what kind of tarp/material do you use? Also do you have one inside too? BTW, looks great! :) No plastic inside right? Someone said they had plastic inside, this is what's confusing me, yet seems so simple ugh!
Just a basic tarp from Walmart like a heavy duty and mine is only on the inside although I’d recommend out side too

Myakoda

AZ.
Just a basic tarp from Walmart like a heavy duty and mine is only on the inside although I’d recommend out side too
So having a tarp on the inside has nothing to do with humidity either way? If not, it's a relief to me, because I'll just double up on the tarp on the outside/underneath. Also, can we leave this tent zipped up all day safely, not oxygen deprived? I know, I'm paranoid in ways too lol. Right now I won't need a basking bulb, it's 90 in her room all the time, but does cool down at night. However, we will keep a close eye on her day and night temps with the tent. I'm in AZ, this says it all... ? We keep her room humid, and warm. I have her UVB on during the day, but that's it. Also a baby humidifier in the room. This is why I got the tent, she needs more humidity. When it cools off, we'll of course add her lights in there. With no lights on during the day, her teranium is about 90 ambiant, her hid box 85, and humidity 60. At night her hide box is at about 80ish. If the tent provides more humidity, I'm sure she'll need her basking light, we have one that shuts off if it gets to a certain temp. I have it set at 90, adding in the lights will be more questions lol. ??

Last edited:

nicoleann2214

NY
So having a tarp on the inside has nothing to do with humidity either way? If not, it's a relief to me, because I'll just double up on the tarp on the outside/underneath. Also, can we leave this tent zipped up all day safely, not oxygen deprived? I know, I'm paranoid in ways too lol. Right now I won't need a basking bulb, it's 90 in her room all the time, but does cool down at night. However, we will keep a close eye on her day and night temps with the tent. I'm in AZ, this says it all... ? We keep her room humid, and warm. I have her UVB on during the day, but that's it. Also a baby humidifier in the room. This is why I got the tent, she needs more humidity. When it cools off, we'll of course add her lights in there. With no lights on during the day, her teranium is about 90 ambiant, her hid box 85, and humidity 60. At night her hide box is at about 80ish. If the tent provides more humidity, I'm sure she'll need her basking light, we have one that shuts off if it gets to a certain temp. I have it set at 90, adding in the lights will be more questions lol. ??
Haha yes you’re good with the tarps! Just make sure all the holes are covered and once you have that set you will need your bulbs to create temps inside of the closed chamber i use a thermostat for my che which will turn it to desired temp and click off when it is at that. And I love Arizona, I go there to visit family every once and awhile it’s a great place! ?

Myakoda

AZ.
Haha yes you’re good with the tarps! Just make sure all the holes are covered and once you have that set you will need your bulbs to create temps inside of the closed chamber i use a thermostat for my che which will turn it to desired temp and click off when it is at that. And I love Arizona, I go there to visit family every once and awhile it’s a great place! ?
Oh it's so HOT right now. No rain ick. ? It was 117 the other day, and a heat warning almost all the time. So I need a tarp over and under the tent? Ya, I have the timer for her lights when I was using them. I think she'll really enjoy this tent. So zipping the tent all up, and covering the holes doesn't seem to pose a problem? Thank you for helping me BTW, I appreciate it. :)

nicoleann2214

NY
Oh it's so HOT right now. No rain ick. ? It was 117 the other day, and a heat warning almost all the time. So I need a tarp over and under the tent? Ya, I have the timer for her lights when I was using them. I think she'll really enjoy this tent. So zipping the tent all up, and covering the holes doesn't seem to pose a problem? Thank you for helping me BTW, I appreciate it. :)
Anytime, and I keep my tarp one inside covering the floor and the other on the outside underneath. And I’m sure she will enjoy it!:)