Growing plants in substrate

Hrairoo

Location (City and/or State)
BC, Canada
Hello there! I was wondering what plants are happy to sprout/grow in a mix of peat moss and coconut coir substrate? I am thinking that having some little yummy greens for my hermanni may be a good thing, especially if they are fresh! I don't mind if they get mowed down before the plant can grow much.
I also have a feeling that some roots in the substrate would improve the substrate, don't know why, just a feeling.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Clover is an easy one, so are mesclun lettuce mixes, radish and carrots (for the greens).
They do improve the substrate, they firm it up yet aerate it, along with breaking down animals waste that is left behind. They also keep the air fresher with CO2>O2 exchange. I can't recommend it enough!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I second that! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457197574.982310.jpg my babies love munching on fresh sprouts. These here happen to be raddishes. Stuff gets mowed down before it has a chance to really grow but that's why i put fresh seeds there at each tank cleaning. The freshly sprouted plants are loaded with all kinds of healthy goodness fir thise babies

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Radish seedlings have always been one of Odin's favorites! I have sown possibly 1000s of radish seeds in the last year and gotten two radishes. They rarely even get big enough to put out true leaves.
They also sprout in about 2-3 days so they are perfect for quick greens while the other seeds are still working. Clover also has a roughly 3 day sprout rate.

Hrairoo

BC, Canada
Awesome, thank you so much! I guess I would go with radish seeds, and totally give the clover a shot too! I guess I could add seeds every day then?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Awesome, thank you so much! I guess I would go with radish seeds, and totally give the clover a shot too! I guess I could add seeds every day then?
For our greenhouse I am seeding two to three times a week with a large variety of seeds. Some sprout quickly and others take longer, either way, he mows them as they sprout.
Cat grass is another quick sprouter, but I don't know if yours is a grass eater. I have a sully.

Hrairoo

BC, Canada
Hm.... Guess I have a lot of options! I do believe I wil try sprouting some chia seeds in the substrate ^_^ Thank you all