GROWTH LINES

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Hi, all! Long time no post. Sorry for not being here, but the iPhone app was not working for me and I don't have easy access to a desktop, outside work.

I noticed that my Merlin has some new growth, but I'm a bit concerned. Are they lines a bit too deep and the tail scutes seem to be too flared out/wide. Merlin soaks on his own, on a daily basis. He eats natural foods, only; no commercial mixes, like Mazuri. He gets vitamins 2x weekly. His enclosure is kept at around 60% humidity, 78-80F, UVB tube replaced every 6-8 months, 175W heat lamp. Merlin's anywhere between 13-18 yrs old. We're not sure, as I'm his 4th or 5th guardian. All I know is that he had metabolic bone disease, when his rescuer first got him. He had been without a proper UVB light for at least a year, according to his rescuer. She got him back to health with the guidance of a herp vet, but he never grew a whole lot in her care. She actually believe him to be full grown at the time I adopted him, 3.5 yrs ago. But, seems Merlin was far from done and has grown a full inch, even being a fussy eater.

Feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!

May

Merlin 2.jpg Merlin_scute growth.jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've seen this before with tortoises kept much like you described early on in their life. This type of new growth is typical of a tortoise that is at the age that all growth should have already happened. Over time the scutes may appear to be very raised and separated by those deep grooves. Much like they're independent of each other. There is no need for concern but it does bear watching. Mainly in the areas at the edges of the scutes. I have seen tortoises with this type of growth where the seam in between the scutes becomes so deep that the outer layer of keratin on the scute will begin to lift and separate at the point where it meets the seam. It may or may not, only time will tell. But it bears watching because dirt and debris can get into these areas and they become an area for bacteria and fungus to thrive.
Probably the main reason for this later in life growth is the fact that the tortoise was in less than ideal conditions before. It's growth was delayed due to it's body concentrating more on survival than on growing. Tortoises don't grow steadily from hatchling to adult unless they are in the right environmental conditions to do so. Their growth (and lack of) is determined by their environmental conditions from season to season, not just by time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well for Pete's sake, May. How the heck have you been? I'm so glad to see you back. We've missed you. I know what you mean about the app. I sometimes look at the Forum on my Kindle and, being used to typing on a keyboard, and seeing the full screen on the computer, the Kindle is less than satisfactory. If I had to always use it I probably would fade away from the Forum too. But please stay.

And @GBtortoises - I'm so happy to see you posting again too. I was very interested in your response to this thread because I take in lots of tortoises with this same problem. You've helped me to understand it.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I've seen this before with tortoises kept much like you described early on in their life. This type of new growth is typical of a tortoise that is at the age that all growth should have already happened. Over time the scutes may appear to be very raised and separated by those deep grooves. Much like they're independent of each other. There is no need for concern but it does bear watching. Mainly in the areas at the edges of the scutes. I have seen tortoises with this type of growth where the seam in between the scutes becomes so deep that the outer layer of keratin on the scute will begin to lift and separate at the point where it meets the seam. It may or may not, only time will tell. But it bears watching because dirt and debris can get into these areas and they become an area for bacteria and fungus to thrive.
Probably the main reason for this later in life growth is the fact that the tortoise was in less than ideal conditions before. It's growth was delayed due to it's body concentrating more on survival than on growing. Tortoises don't grow steadily from hatchling to adult unless they are in the right environmental conditions to do so. Their growth (and lack of) is determined by their environmental conditions from season to season, not just by time.

Thank you so much for the feedback and info. That makes a lot of sense, actually. I just couldn't understand how he could be calcium deficient, when he has the same care as his partner. They're not kept together, but they are in the same type enclosure, have the same lighting set up, same temp, food, etc. (With the exception that he's a picky eater, but eats a good amount of what he likes.)

I was mainly concerned because Merlin has grown a bit--and very, very slowly--in my care and all seemed to be going well, until now. Will defo keep an eye on the deeper grooves and make sure to keep his shell clean. Thank you, again! :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Well for Pete's sake, May. How the heck have you been? I'm so glad to see you back. We've missed you. I know what you mean about the app. I sometimes look at the Forum on my Kindle and, being used to typing on a keyboard, and seeing the full screen on the computer, the Kindle is less than satisfactory. If I had to always use it I probably would fade away from the Forum too. But please stay.

Sorry for disappearing, Yvonne! And thank you for making me feel so welcome. <3 I've had some tough times and still getting a few things sorted, mainly health related. I'll try to post, as often as I can. I've missed the learning and information exchange aspects of this forum. Have a good night. :)