Growth normal?

Wendy Proulx

Location (City and/or State)
Chesapeake VA
F459FF3D-F616-4523-A166-0E4792EE7560.jpeg my yellow foot is suppose to be 6 month old (I think he might be younger). I have had him for 3 months, so he is at least that old. He weighs 80g now. When I first got him 3 months ago, he was 68g. Is this a good weight gain for him? I haven’t seen any new growth on his shell, but maybe I just don’t know what I am looking for. Thanks for any input. He eats well and I think I finally got his habitat pretty close to perfect for him. He seems happy and has good energy

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Looks like there is growth to me. If you look on the inside of the scute boarders you can see growth rings. As your tort grows the scute bone plates will thicken and end up the same height as your pronounced scute boarders to give a smooth carapace. Keep it well hydrated and spray your torts carapace morning and noon to imitate dew. Make sure it sleeps under some moist foliage like moss and leaves. Put it under moss if you have to. Needs to be very humid at night.
Nice tort. Another species on my bucket list :D
IMG_1669.jpg

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Weight gain and "proper growth rate" are subjective unless we quantify it. Here's an old thread on body mass index (BMI) using the Donoghue formula.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-weight-formula-tbmi.38420/

Madkins007 breakdown of BMI in the results section are based on a normal distribution around the mean (1.0). If you have any issues or need help, let me know.