guess the sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmytort

5 Year Member
Like I said before female, but the name can stay you just have to stop calling her a he, haha

rubbermate

5 Year Member
lol thanks guys this is going to be hard because I have always refered to goliath as he lol dont know why lol oh well lol I love her still just another one of my 4 legged children to have in my crazy home with 2 toddlers 1 dog , some wild mice I serynge fed since they were a few days old, a cat , and my red tailed boa named spike

SteveP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Royal Palm Beach, FL
I hear that and I call Flash a he too. Im out numbered by females in the house to I have to go with He until proven overwise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In younger tortoises, you can go by the seam between the anal scutes and the femoral scutes. Look at Tom's pictures again. On the male, see the seam between the anal scutes and the next scute up? See how straight the line is? male Now look again at the female picture. On that same seam, notice that the line instead of being straight, is wavy. female.

Goliath's seam is very straight.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmmm. I'm gonna have to say that yours is one of those that is just too hard to call. It could really go either way. My yearlings are just like this too. Some of them I can tell at an early age and some I just can't. I have a male named Bert that I was sure was a female for about the first 8 years. He showed all the characteristics and behavior of a female. Then "suddenly" the tail grew, the plastron sucked in, the anal scutes flared out, and he started fighting my other male, instead of letting him mount him anymore. He still has tiny gulars and a small head.

I say, lets check again in 6-12 months and see what it looks like then.

rubbermate

5 Year Member
ok thanks tom I do know that the bottom part of shell (the plastron?) is sucked in but who knows lol im sure when goliath matures we will deffenently know then the sex of my tort lol

Status
Not open for further replies.