Guidelines on outside enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
I have a sulcata hatchling which I bought on 9-18-13. He is still small at 47 grams. I take him out 2 x daily for 30 minutes to run around in the yard. He loves it!!! I am in the process of building an enclosure with landscape timbers. I live in Florida, and our temps and humidity are good, right now. What are the guidelines as far as time wise and according to their age, that they can spend outside? His inside enclosure is temp and humidity monitored because he is a baby, but he definitely is more active outside. As soon as I set him down, the head goes up, and he runs all over the place. Amazed at how fast those tiny chunky legs can move.:)

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
We're in Fl too :) Welcome! Hope you guys get your outdoor set up going! If you're in a pinch and want to keep him out while you construct one you can create a simple one with an inexpensive plastic kid pool! That'll let your little one enjoy some time outside while you work :)

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Masin said:
We're in Fl too :) Welcome! Hope you guys get your outdoor set up going! If you're in a pinch and want to keep him out while you construct one you can create a simple one with an inexpensive plastic kid pool! That'll let your little one enjoy some time outside while you work :)
Thanks! I forgot about the kiddie pool.

RuthJanice said:
Your sully is very cute. If you look at the link below, Tom describes both indoors and outdoor enclosures.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html
Thanks!! I have read and re-read...trying to do everything right. At what age/size can they be left outside all day, of course in the proper setup?

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Guidelines:
Mix of shade and direct sunlight.
Safe housing constructed to withstand a sulcata.
As much space as possible.
Solid walls that he/she cant see through.
Capped corners so there's no temptation to climb out.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Thanks everyone! He is spending one hour each day outside, and loving it. When can I increase his outside time to two hours?

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Scm133 said:
Thanks everyone! He is spending one hour each day outside, and loving it. When can I increase his outside time to two hours?
I found this on the forum by Tom, and it answered my question:
"Hatchlings I will only leave out for an hour or two. By 4" I'll leave them for 3-4 hours. Once they are 6-8" or so, I don't think it matters at all any more, as long as they are hydrated. All ages get a good warm soak as I bring them in from sunning. Once mine are around 10" or so they move outside permanently."

Status
Not open for further replies.