Outside pen for the summer

Gregor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Slovenia(Europe)
I know summer is still a few months away, but I started thinking about outside enclosure for my juvenile sulcata.
She is allmost 4 inches long.
And as she still needs constant high humidity I was wondering how can I provide such enclosure outside, but still get UV from the sun? So that she can spend afternoons outside when I get from work.

Anybody have an idea?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Maybe if you just leave her outside (supervised) to get some sun for a few hours a day , then return her to her humid environment ? :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I agree. Let him roam and get the sunlight, of course, always supervised. Provide a hide for him outside like a bush or plants. And when it gets too hot outside, limit the time outside to early mornings or early evenings to prevent overheating. Make sure he's always protected from predators like Hawks and cats/dogs.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Can you make a outdoor enclosure to keep your sulcata in?and have a under ground humid hide in the outdoor enclosure? That's the safest thing to do

Gregor

5 Year Member
Slovenia(Europe)
I was thinking of building a somewhat close chamber.
It will be 3/4 covered with acrylic with humid hide and an opening to the rest of 1/4 of pen, wich will be open. The whole pen will be put in a verry shaded place so that the temperature will not be to high in the covered part.
But as far as I know plexy glass bloks UV rays. Is there any other stuff tht I could use?

Last edited:

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Yep that will work but it might be cheaper to just make like a garden bed with a underground humid hide

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455401650.677862.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455401650.677862.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 33

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I was thinking of building a somewhat close chamber.
It will be 3/4 covered with acrylic with humid hide and an opening to the rest of 1/4 of pen, wich will be open. The whole pen will be put in a verry shaded place so that the temperature will not be to high in the covered part.
But as far as I know plexy glass bloks UV rays. Is there any other stuff tht I could use?
I think almost any glass or plastic will filter the UV rays . The screen is probably the best approach ? When Speedy was that size I put him out in a kids plastic wading pool for a few hours a day , like this ;

picture.php

It worked great and was very inexpensive !

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think almost any glass or plastic will filter the UV rays . The screen is probably the best approach ? When Speedy was that size I put him out in a kids plastic wading pool for a few hours a day , like this ;

picture.php

It worked great and was very inexpensive !
That's what I did too.