Gulf Coast being "gulf coast"

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Just a couple shots of what makes gulf coast unique. They will stay like this for weeks and only come on land to eat. I have some that I never see out of the water until winter time rolls around.ImageUploadedByTortForum1381867358.537205.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381867378.459017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
Great pictures!! Now I want some box turtles they are amazing !

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
guille24 said:
Great pictures!! Now I want some box turtles they are amazing !

They really are. Box turtles, even though very common, are simply the coolest of turtles. I'm just particularly fond of big beautiful gulf coast specimens ;)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Very cool!

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I've found them in the wild just like that too. Sometimes in little puddles but other times in decent sized creeks. They are very much at home in the water.
Have also found Florida box turtles sitting in the water inside of cypress domes in the Everglades but they are not nearly as 'aquatic' as the gulf coast box turtles are.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would love to travel and discover other coastal box turtles to see how different they are. That would be a dream come true to discover some Floridas in the wild.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You know how much I love gulf coast box turtles. You're killing me here!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Man !!! It's 3 of them ! I thought it was just two !!! They are amazing! I really want to get some ! Just beautiful ! Amazing ! And unique animals :) !!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Lol it's actually five if them! Look closely....very very closely :)

lisa127 said:
You know how much I love gulf coast box turtles. You're killing me here!

Well prepare yourself for more torture lol. I'm trying to snap as many pics as I can before it starts cooling off.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Woow u are right ! It took me a while to see the other ones ! U have achieved something I really like and something I want to have in a turtle or tortoise habitat which is to make it look natural "wild " is just amazing, I like your turtles a lot and I'm always exited to see your pictures :D

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
guille24 said:
Woow u are right ! It took me a while to see the other ones ! U have achieved something I really like and something I want to have in a turtle or tortoise habitat which is to make it look natural "wild " is just amazing, I like your turtles a lot and I'm always exited to see your pictures :D

Thanks for the compliments! I do strive to create some very natural aspects to my enclosures. I'll try to take some more pictures tomorrow of my larger area that is really really wild compared to most enclosures. It's not "pretty" but the turtles thrive in it. It's as natural as I can get with the land I have. When I move to my new property I will have more to work with.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I can't wait to see more pictures of your enclosures and turtles ! :D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My Gulf Coast goes in the pond in the morning when it's starting to warm up. He'll stay in there for a while , and then spends the rest of the day, after he heats, under the hosta. I never see him in the water that much. I wonder if it's because he comes from a different area. He doesn't look anything like yours either. He's very tolerant of all the other turtles, but not too tolerant of strangers, I notice.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
guille24 said:
I can't wait to see more pictures of your enclosures and turtles ! :D

I'll be putting up a new post shortly with a few shots of my enclosure. I couldn't take as many as I would like to have...... no time lol.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381953495.854648.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381953511.669475.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381953523.814230.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381953536.835711.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381953549.960971.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381953563.122007.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381953577.585815.jpg

It's a jungle in there!! Lol hard to get in to take pictures. A few Mosquitos got me while taking those pictures lol

Last edited by a moderator:

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
That's an amazing enclosure !! I like it a lot ! It looks natural so green and cool , it has everything an outside enclosure should have and more :D I want to make something like that for my " red foots" I can't wait to start doing it next year , I live in Wisconsin so I have to wait a few months to do it , probably 7 ,8 months ohhh god it's gonna be a long winter !!! It's October and already cold :/ lol

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the compliments. I can't wait to put some new ideas into place when I move to my new property

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Fantastic turtle garden. It's so natural. Looks like you went for a hike and found some Box Turtles.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks. It's not far off what they would enjoy in the wild but I wouldn't raise them any other way :)

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Your turtles are so beautiful! Very cute to see them taking a mud bath :)