Gulf Coast Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Does anyone have a GCBT? This is my first one and I am amazed at the personality and color. The one's I've seen are a dull green or brownish. She is brown with lots of red markings. Her face and arms are starting to get a lot of yellow and white. Her tail is growing ....a lot, and her eyes are starting to glow...red. Millie is still too young to sex, but I'm leaning toward male right now. She is extremely friendly, eats everything that is offered, and definitely knows me. If I bring in a friend to see the turtle garden she will run over stand up VERY tall and sway back and forth and open her mouth very wide. I know this is aggression, but my Eastern's and Three Toed's will run and hide if someone strange comes into the garden. I have never had a box turtle like this one in all my years of having them. She is really full of personality.
My son brought his friemd from college to see the garden. We had to do this twice to get the picture.
Here she is charging out of her hiding hole.
Who's in my garden??
033-22.jpg

Beat it!!
041-15.jpg

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
She is beautiful Terry! We have two OLD females but they look almost black nowadays. They are our escape artists:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
wow someone looks upset you are in her garden.
Quick question do you keep them separate or are they all in one big boxie garden?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those pics are awesome TerryO. She looks so healthy and happy.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Beautiful!!! I have a lone male and am looking to add some females to his pen. The one thing I do notice about mine is that he is more aggressive than my other boys. I had another male gulfie in with him, but they fought all the time so I had to find the new one a new home. I hope he will be nicer to the females so they can live together. My boy also spends a lot of time in the water and swims more than the others.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
dmmj said:
wow someone looks upset you are in her garden.
Quick question do you keep them separate or are they all in one big boxie garden?

In the garden I have Three Toed's, Eastern's and the one Gulf Coast. So far everyone gets along fine...eats together...sleeps together.
She only seems to do this if it's not me in the garden, and she just started to do this. Otherwise, she is very sweet. And yes she loves the water. She goes to the bottom of the pond, and walks to the other side under the water.
004-55.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Terry that is too funny to look at. :D What a cutie you have there. I didn't know that they did that so thanks for posting pictures of it.

Boony

5 Year Member
Southern California
She is so cute! Nice photos. I have a male GCBT, and I wish mine was as friendly as yours. He is rather extremely shy - and it took him a few weeks just to come out from his hide when I first brought him home. He wouldn't eat at all . . so I tried live snails and strawberries, which worked great. Now he comes out every morning for food and often waits for me to feed him if the food is not ready when he's out. :) Unfortunately, that's the most interaction I have with my GCBT - if I approach him, he gets scared and run away from me or stops eating. (He comes back to the food right after I leave though - :) )

But, one of my three toed box turtles is as sweet as your GCBT. She stands up when I offer her food. Sometimes, she gets busy running around the garden to drink water when sprinkler is on. The other three toed boxie is shier than my GCBT boy.

I guess every turtle has his/her own personality - and it's nice to learn other GCBT can be as friendly as yours - and I envy you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.