Sea Turtles Dead - 506
Sea Turtles Released - 55
Mammals Alive - 5
Mammals Dead - 66
Other Reptiles Alive - 1
Other Reptiles Dead - 1

chadk

10 Year Member!
Where are you getting that list? What does the alive vs dead mean (besides the obvious). Meaning, is the 'alive' an estimated living population left in the entire gulf of mexico, or is 'alive' those that have been captured in the area of the oil, but are alive and well??

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
I've heard some very different numbers than this, don't remember where.... The "alive" numbers I assume mean animals saved & released, because there's certainly more "alive" animals swimming in the area and under the oil.

Anyone else seen all the stories about the hard time they're having finding any more oil to clean up? Looks like mother nature (God) is taking care of things, like was predicted early on.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Thanks. So they are collecting live and dead animals, no matter what killed them.

So I wonder what the numbers would look like under normal conditions?

Is there a graph that might show any trends (ie, they are finding more or less dead critters over time) showing an improvement or deterioration over time?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
chad... seriously? Tons of turts showed up covered in oil and I read an article specifically where the vet said they were dying from oil... I don't know where the article is, and I'm sure you wouldn't find it sufficient anyways...

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
This is sad too:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/8...ews-no-more-fiery-death-70000-eggs-relocated/

Being burned alive :(

A big concern has been for the hatchlings who will move into the water and can likely die from oil or dispersant.

PS Chad, here's some reading:
http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Gulf-Oil-Spill-Puts-Sea-Turtles-at-Risk-99006509.html

Not the article I referenced, but clearly states that turtles are being found covered in oil.

PLUS only a small number of those that die wash up

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
DC - Does anyone doubt that turtles are showing up with oil on them? Does anyone doubt that it's sad and is a bad situation?

Call me crazy, but I think that there will be more turtles in the wild 10 years from now because of the oil spill than there would have been if it had never happened. Nest relocations because of the spill and "helping babies to the water" is going to create a huge boost to the numbers that otherwise would not have happened.

The death numbers are far different depending on where you see it or who you ask. Obviously, environmental groups put out higher numbers than are probably realistic, and if you asked BP, you'd probably get lower numbers. If it's something the government puts out, you just know it's wrong automatically.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think people sit there and think that people who are questioing the numbers are sitting around saying " I am glad so many animals died" I would like to see realistic numbers any enviro group or the current administration will inflate the numbers, if they are counting all dead animals whether or not they died from oil is wrong.

chadk

10 Year Member!
DC, I just asked some clarifying questions. I have no doubt the oil has and will continue to have a significant death toll. It is terrible. I would like to be able to pass such info on to others, but first I like to make sure I know where such stats came from, what exactly they mean, etc. Is that a bad thing??????

Status
Not open for further replies.