H. Spinosa questions

Yurtle

5 Year Member
Hi, I've been extensively looking into getting an Asian spiny turtle and I've found some conflicting information in a few areas regarding their care and I have a few questions over all, that I would like to have cleared up.

1.) I've read mixed things regarding this species's diet, some say an omnivorous diet similar to a box turtle's is best and others recommend a herbivorous diet consisting heavily of dark leafy greens with some fruits and other vegetable. I was wondering what's the best diet for this species?

2.) Since only imported H. Spinosa are almost exclusively offered, is this a species that adapts well into captivity or is it a more delicate species?
The places I've looked into getting one from have all had them for several months, is this enough time for them to have been well acclimated? I understand there's a general level of difficultly acclimating any import or wild caught species into captivity, but some seem to be worse than others.

3.) Finally I've also seen conflicting information on the water to land ratio they should have in their enclosure, one article I read suggested a 50/50 split land to water, while most of everything else I read suggested just a large water dish for adult turtles.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I personally would rather get animals that were just imported, or in a best case scenario, with someone I trusted for years. Just saying.

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
I have just acquired six 'fresh' imports'. I know of at least one person who has bred them in the US. I will be starting a Facebook discussion page shortly