Halloween = Tortoise's favorite holiday

Bixi

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis, Tn
It is true what they say about torts loving pumpkin!

This was Bixi's first Halloween (born January 2017) and she took to pumpkin like a boss! I have not seen her eat as ravenously as she did when she first tried pumpkin a few days ago. She was chomping at a very high rate.

I gave both 6 and 9 month updates on Bixi, and in the 9 month update I said Bixi was growing very slowly. Well... she was... she still isn't gaining much length/diameter, but her weight is skyrocketing now. She has hit a big growth spurt. She is still in her 4 ft. x 4 ft. enclosure, and I am already thinking about finding more floor space to open up a new pen for her to over-winter. I live in Tennessee, and the winters are too cold for Sulcatas outdoors.

I have started a regimen of taking her out and soaking her (so she poops and pees), and then letting her run around on the floor. She doesn't lack for space in that sense, but I know in a year or two that she is going to need a bigger pen so that she isn't feeling cooped-up during the winter months.

Small concern: When she walks on carpet, she seems to want to push with her back legs more than usual. She doesn't "stand up tall" on her front legs as much as she does when she is in her pen (or climbing). I think she is fine, but I just wanted to make sure that wasn't an immediate sign of anything super-bad. She is definitely using her front legs a lot, but she seems to let them go all the way underneath her shell and then drag them back up for the next step. She can do this very quickly when she moves fast, so the legs don't seem weak. I just wonder why she isn't trying to stand up really tall on her front legs... Most likely, I am an over-worried parent :) It may also be because she is used to the softer substrate in her pen; or perhaps her claws getting caught in the carpet.

Burke

p.s. - Here's some pics of my 11month old girl!

nom nom! [url=https://imgur.com/GK2Tw0p] [/URL]

going on an adventure! (sorry for the poor picture quality) [url=https://imgur.com/EaUdc5E] [/URL]

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Bixi, I don’t think I’ve met you here, but the house floor is a really bad place for a tortoise to roam. Too many “things” to find and eat, the temps are much too cool on the floor for a tortoise and someone had a tortoise suffer a dreadful head injury from getting pinched in a door. Tortoises belong in their enclosure. That is a little cutie you’ve got there.

Bixi

Memphis, Tn
Bixi, I don’t think I’ve met you here, but the house floor is a really bad place for a tortoise to roam. Too many “things” to find and eat, the temps are much too cool on the floor for a tortoise and someone had a tortoise suffer a dreadful head injury from getting pinched in a door. Tortoises belong in their enclosure. That is a little cutie you’ve got there.

Hey! Good to meet you. I am Burke, Bixi is the tortoise. When I let her out to roam on the floor I am constantly watching her. I won't leave the room or take my eye off of her. I only let her roam for 20min or so, and then I plop her back down under her mercury bulb in her enclosure.

Do you think it is still a bad idea to let her roam the floor? I really do keep a good eye on her, and I don't use any kind of carpet treatment or any chemicals that she could absorb. I don't want to risk her health, though.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I just know of those carpet balls that are always around and then carpet always seems to collect crap, “stuff”.

Bixi

Memphis, Tn
I just know of those carpet balls that are always around and then carpet always seems to collect crap, “stuff”.

Gotcha, I will make sure she isn't ever trying to eat stuff from the carpet. She does sniff around a lot, but I haven't seen her try to chomp on anything, yet. We vacuum enough that I hope it's not a problem... on that note... Bixi HATES the vacuum. She runs circles around her enclosure when I do it... I wish I had a better way to insulate her from the noise!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Gotcha, I will make sure she isn't ever trying to eat stuff from the carpet. She does sniff around a lot, but I haven't seen her try to chomp on anything, yet. We vacuum enough that I hope it's not a problem... on that note... Bixi HATES the vacuum. She runs circles around her enclosure when I do it... I wish I had a better way to insulate her from the noise!

Bixi knows that someday she’ll be big and strong enough to put that vacuum to shame!!!