hand feeding calcium?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
Hi guys!!!!! Okay here is the problem. Koopa dodges foods that have calcium sprinkled on them. If it all has it, he will eat nothing on his own. On the days it doesn't have calcium (same types of foods) he devours!!!!!! the other day i decided to put a little calcium on romaine lettuce and he ate it. Today, no such luck. Is this normal behavior????

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
My kids get their Mazuki dusted as I mix it to absorb the water and other things. That way they Have to eat it, and have never had a problem. Unless you put too much Calcium in the food obviously. Should you have a heavy hand, don't just toss out the food add an additional two tablespoons of warm water and maybe another thick pinch of Mazuki or Banana mix then feed em. Somehow they don't care if it's on bananas or something fruity. But they are limited on fruit. The Mazuki works best because it's just like trying to 'water' down the grub so it's not chalky for the kids.

Katherine

5 Year Member
How much calcium are you 'dusting'? Calcium can be caustic so it could be that it is irritating him and hence causing him to avoid foods coated in it. When I offer calcium supplements to my egg producing females I just sprinkle some on their mazuri, mix it up, and soak it like that. It soaks into the mazuri and seems not to taste offensive to them as they always gobble it up, maybe this would work for you. They are pretty good about eating what they need as well, so it is also possible your tortoise is not in need of calcium supplement at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.