Handling opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeMurgatroyd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Hello fellow tortoise people.

What's the general opinion on handling of hermanns tortoises? My two seem to not like it an awful lot, is this normal? I know they aren't like mammals where some crave attention, but I don't know if my lack of handling is neglectful.

Not that I don't want to handle them, but they seem not to be too keen, any advice?

Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You don't say how long you have had them... they can be very, very slow to get used to anything new. It can take months!

That said, Joe thinks it's his right to struggle every time he's picked up after over 40 years. I think it's a point of principle rather than disliking handling!

Personally I don't handle much; handling only as necessary to soak him / move him out of the way / stop him eating my newly planted shrub / put him in his kennel for the night.

They're loners. They don't play or seek company and I think they're better off not messed about with too much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I on the other hand. Believe in handling a little more then JoesMum. Not a lot more, but I do pick my leopard up just to talk to him and kiss his face. To take him in and out from outside and in and out of soaks. I will also sometimes just sit with him on me. I do believe however, if handled they will get used to it. Some may never, most probably will. If after quite some time, they still seem to not like it, well then they maybe never will. It's really upto you and how much time you want and can put into it. If you don't do it very often, they probably will never get used to it. If you have more of a routine of it, they probably will.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I handle my tortoises when needed. In/out of soaks etc. I have two hatchling Russian tortoises and one adult. One of the hatchlings, Tootsie roll does not seem to be bothered at all by handling, she just sits there! Tank on the other hand starts flinging his arms and legs about like you're trying to eat him. I always use a large bowl to transfer my adult in/outdoors when needed. He is squirmy as well, unlike the hatchling though, his nails hurt as he is trying to get away :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I use a washing up bowl for transport too... Joe seems to prefer being carried that way.

We do sometimes sit in the garden for a chat. I'll rub him under the chin and he'll relax and behave for while and then he'll decide he needs to butt my shoe or something!

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
JoesMum said:
I use a washing up bowl for transport too... Joe seems to prefer being carried that way.

We do sometimes sit in the garden for a chat. I'll rub him under the chin and he'll relax and behave for while and then he'll decide he needs to butt my shoe or something!

God I've missed you. I love hearing about Joe!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Of my four, Ptolemy, Jennifer and Ophelia enjoy attention (climbing into my lap when I sit out in the yard, getting their chins rubbed, that sort of thing...all predicated by me bringing treats), while Apollonia is somewhat shyer, but now she comes over and sits near us during Social Hour.

None particularly like to be up in the air, of course...can't say I'd care for some gigantic creature, no matter how friendly/kindly, to hold me a couple stories up in the air, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.