Hard water build up on carapace

Amelia.Walton

Location (City and/or State)
Burnet, TX
Live in Central TX and we have hard water. My sulcatas are in their outdoor enclosure with Misters on around the perimeter of their enclosure. I thought they were just fading from the heat and sun we’ve been experiencing. But I think the fading is from the hard water build up on their shell. Any suggestions as to what I could put on their shells to bring back their natural color? I hesitate applying anything that might attract ants, or predators. Suggestions?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Maybe a gentle brushing with warm water and white vinegar to remove the staining.

I use a mix of oils on my tortoises' shells once a week, a pretty thin layer that I mostly rub off with a towel once it's been applied.

Jamie

0560CC1E-F02B-4BA9-84AC-4BA4D0909499.jpeg

Amelia.Walton

Burnet, TX
Maybe a gentle brushing with warm water and white vinegar to remove the staining.

I use a mix of oils on my tortoises' shells once a week, a pretty thin layer that I mostly rub off with a towel once it's been applied.

Jamie

View attachment 279772

Are your torts outside? Does this mix of oils attract insects or varmints with the smell? Where do you buy that product?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Are your torts outside? Does this mix of oils attract insects or varmints with the smell? Where do you buy that product?
My torts are outside on days it's warmer than 70°, I live in NH.

I have not noted it attracting insects or wildlife.

I make the oil mixture myself.

Jamie

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
@jsheffield have you noticed any adverse effects from using it? I'm assuming not because then you wouldn't use it anymore but you never know.

Amelia.Walton

Burnet, TX

Send me your contact info so I can send your tortoise surprise in exchange for Pommade for Tillman and Tucker.
Thanks