Hard wood floor

cpl1307

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
I know as I type this, that it sounds like a silly question, but I can't seem to get it out my head. My Horsefield has lots of flooring to dig in, as I know they love to dig around, but what concerns me is that at night time he digs into his bark until he gets to the bottom. There's not enough to Bury herself completely and she will carry on digging and then just sleep on the hard vivarium wood base, that's she lives in. Is she OK just like that or should I add something else? How deep should the bark be? I obviously want to be able to open the door.
I just feel as though she's uncomfortable

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you add more substrate so she can completely cover herself? Even if it's just deeper in one area.
If not then she is fine going to the floor. She may even dig to the floor if you added more.

cpl1307

Lancashire
Can you add more substrate so she can completely cover herself? Even if it's just deeper in one area.
If not then she is fine going to the floor. She may even dig to the floor if you added more.
I could higher her hide and pack it with substrate down where she sleeps. She has got used to me burying her In it now anyway every night. I will give your idea a go. I reckon I could get enough in there so she can be covered. Thank you

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I know as I type this, that it sounds like a silly question, but I can't seem to get it out my head. My Horsefield has lots of flooring to dig in, as I know they love to dig around, but what concerns me is that at night time he digs into his bark until he gets to the bottom. There's not enough to Bury herself completely and she will carry on digging and then just sleep on the hard vivarium wood base, that's she lives in. Is she OK just like that or should I add something else? How deep should the bark be? I obviously want to be able to open the door.
I just feel as though she's uncomfortable
Mine does the same. Provide the correct environment inc correct substrate , heat, light, hydration and diet and let it live as it chooses. Mine wil scrape and clear the area or other times just crash out on the substrate to sleep or find a corner and Scape away until it is happy. It is all to do with temperature, comfort and where it decides to go.

cpl1307

Lancashire
Hi,
Done exactly what you told me. I give the hide a bit more height, but not to close to the basking bulb. I packed it with bark and she spent 15 minute digging right into it. It's the first time I've not been able to even see her bum sticking out. She loved it. Fasinates me how they breath in it?
Colin

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi,
Done exactly what you told me. I give the hide a bit more height, but not to close to the basking bulb. I packed it with bark and she spent 15 minute digging right into it. It's the first time I've not been able to even see her bum sticking out. She loved it. Fasinates me how they breath in it?
Colin
Glad she is loving it and she can have some privacy for her bum lol