HAS ANYONES STAR TORT TRIED TO EAT BUGS BEFORE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
i caught him trying to bite at a bug so i put a mini mealworm close to him and he chomped it up,i understand protein isnt suppose to be part of their diet so i wont do it again,i jus thought it was odd that he went after it so readily like he was used to eatn them.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
what kind of star tort and how big/old is he? I have never witnessed my stars doing that, but hen again I'm not watching them 90% of the time. I keep mine outside so its hard to watch them. I wouldnt put it past them though, there are alot of bugs out there.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I've heard plenty of stories of 100% Herbivorous tortoises being "opportunistic" carnivores. Quite aggressively in fact.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
No worry! It is Common. In the wild, I can say all of tortoises eat some worms or snails. Yes, they do not need much of protein, but they Need Some Protein. Just like Chinese Panda will eat Goat in the wild.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
yeah it was weird he did it once and hasnt show interest again,i had the mealworms for my many amphibians that i keep by the way,they werent purchased for him,maybe its good that he gets a little of everything even protein.

yeah it was weird he did it once and hasnt show interest again,i had the mealworms for my many amphibians that i keep by the way,they werent purchased for him,maybe its good that he gets a little of everything even protein.It reminded me of my box turtles,they used to devour worms and bugs and snails.

Gus

5 Year Member
What the Chinese Panda will eat Goat in the wild??? OMG

You really shock me???

xiaobochu said:
No worry! It is Common. In the wild, I can say all of tortoises eat some worms or snails. Yes, they do not need much of protein, but they Need Some Protein. Just like Chinese Panda will eat Goat in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.