Hasnt pooped

Status
Not open for further replies.

marginated1693

5 Year Member
I have a baby marginated tortoise, i've been taking care for about 6-7 months. And just recently he hasn't been pooping or i havent seen any. idk if his diet or im not soaking him enough so what do i do?

marginated1693

5 Year Member
Hasnt Pooped need help

I have a baby marginated tortoise, i've been taking care of for about 6-7 months now. He has been walking around, eating normal and sleeping under his heat lamp, but recently he has stopped eating as much as he used too and i havent seen him poop in days. he eats mostly roman lettuce im not so sure on the diet he should be eating. what should i do to help him???

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
RE: Hasnt Pooped need help

Hello,
With marginated try sticking with a more grass, broad leaf green, and weed diet. Solid romaine is not very beneficial. A good variety is best with all species of tortoises. But for certain marginata need a good percentage of grass. What is your enclosure like? Temps, humidity, UVB lighting as well. Tortoises gut tends to take a while to process and excrete digested matter. So few days is normal. But better food in his diet regime should be taken into account. Any way you can get the guy outside would also be a very good idea. Just make sure its predator proof and not in direct sunlight.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: Hasnt Pooped need help

If your tort is not eating, it is vital that you soak it to ensure that it does not get dehydrated.

Soaking, in my experience, is more successful when done first thing in the morning before your tort has warmed up properly. Do it for 30 minutes in warm, not hot, water in a bowl he can't see out of. Experiment with the water temperature until you find the temperature that your tort finds most relaxing.

Like humans, torts will only poop if they eat enough fiber ... Romaine doesn't provide much fiber. You need to get more weeds in his diet to improve it. Variety helps with a healthy diet too. Buy one type of green from the grocery store and when it's finished, buy something different.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Firstly, your tort may well be eating it's poop. It sounds disgusting, but it's entirely normal! It can also be hard to find poop in the substrate, so the chances are that there is nothing wrong.

Diet needs to be mostly leafy greens. Feed a variety so that he gets plenty of change. Weeds from your yard like dandelion and clover will provide fiber for healthy poop... lettuce of any type doesn't have much fiber. When you buy greens, buy a different thing each time. That way youor tort will get variety over time. Spring mix provides good variety too.

marginated1693

5 Year Member

tortadise said:
Hello,
With marginated try sticking with a more grass, broad leaf green, and weed diet. Solid romaine is not very beneficial. A good variety is best with all species of tortoises. But for certain marginata need a good percentage of grass. What is your enclosure like? Temps, humidity, UVB lighting as well. Tortoises gut tends to take a while to process and excrete digested matter. So few days is normal. But better food in his diet regime should be taken into account. Any way you can get the guy outside would also be a very good idea. Just make sure its predator proof and not in direct sunlight.

Do you know what are good types of grass to put in his diet

marginated1693

5 Year Member

JoesMum said:
If your tort is not eating, it is vital that you soak it to ensure that it does not get dehydrated.

Soaking, in my experience, is more successful when done first thing in the morning before your tort has warmed up properly. Do it for 30 minutes in warm, not hot, water in a bowl he can't see out of. Experiment with the water temperature until you find the temperature that your tort finds most relaxing.

Like humans, torts will only poop if they eat enough fiber ... Romaine doesn't provide much fiber. You need to get more weeds in his diet to improve it. Variety helps with a healthy diet too. Buy one type of green from the grocery store and when it's finished, buy something different.

What are the best types of greens for a marginated's diet? do you use warm tap for warm soaks?

marginated1693

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Firstly, your tort may well be eating it's poop. It sounds disgusting, but it's entirely normal! It can also be hard to find poop in the substrate, so the chances are that there is nothing wrong.

Diet needs to be mostly leafy greens. Feed a variety so that he gets plenty of change. Weeds from your yard like dandelion and clover will provide fiber for healthy poop... lettuce of any type doesn't have much fiber. When you buy greens, buy a different thing each time. That way youor tort will get variety over time. Spring mix provides good variety too.

do you know any other weeds that would be good for his diet and other greens to by at the store that would be good?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country

If you feed him some canned 100% pumpkin, it can have a laxative effect.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sorry, I am in the UK... so had to leave this thread and go to bed!

Your tort isn't eating, so...
1. Check the temperatures accurately and report back: warm side, cool side, directly under basking lamp and overnight minimum
2. Soak him twice daily for 30 minutes in warm water; the first soak shoukd be in the morning before he has warmed up. Add carrot puree babyfood to the soak water for the next few days
3. Offer proper food straight after the soak. Try spring mix, dandelions, clover... and the flowerrs of dandelion and clover if you have them.

marginated1693

5 Year Member
1. the warm side of his tank where there basking lamp and the uvb light stay in the mid to high 80s degree F

the cold side stays in the low to high 70s during the day

under his basking lamp in gets up from 90's
overnight it rarely goes below 70

3. i gave him dandelions and he does seem to be interested in them

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My russian had stopped pooping ad then stopped eating. Took vet and she stimulated him to poop (basically poked a probe into his backside). He released a large amount of poop. Has done well since then. I've add more fiber to diet by putting ground zoomed grassland pellets or oxbow salad hay on his greens (he won't eat the mushed pellets).

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

marginated1693

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Sorry, I am in the UK... so had to leave this thread and go to bed!

Your tort isn't eating, so...
1. Check the temperatures accurately and report back: warm side, cool side, directly under basking lamp and overnight minimum
2. Soak him twice daily for 30 minutes in warm water; the first soak shoukd be in the morning before he has warmed up. Add carrot puree babyfood to the soak water for the next few days
3. Offer proper food straight after the soak. Try spring mix, dandelions, clover... and the flowerrs of dandelion and clover if you have them.

1. the warm side of his tank where there basking lamp and the uvb light stay in the mid to high 80s degree F

the cold side stays in the low to high 70s during the day

under his basking lamp in gets up from 90's
overnight it rarely goes below 70

3. i gave him dandelions and he does seem to be interested in them

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Canned pumpkin, boiled then cooled sweet potato.... Mix the two. Feed to & bathe in mixture until healthy or happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.