Hatchling boxies -- Easterns or hybrids?

Synirr

Hey all, first time posting! I've been keeping box turtles for several years now, and have two pairs of three-toeds plus an extra lady, and one pair of easterns, which are all being housed together at the moment due to the size of my available outdoor space (we are moving next month and they will be getting a BIG upgrade!) This is the first year I tried incubating a clutch, and consequently the first year I've had a successful hatch... summers here can be really brutal. I did not observe this particular clutch being laid and I'm not sure who the mother is, but all the little ones have four toes and look like easterns. Is there any way to tell, at this size, whether they are hybrid or not? I had not observed any cross-subspecies breeding attempts, but anything is possible. Luckily I have homes lined up for them either way.

20140930_111041.jpg

20140930_112209.jpg

20140930_113647.jpg

20140930_111309.jpg

20140930_111325.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't know but they are cute. Just send them to me,lol
You? Hell! Me...I want that second guy. Darn is he cute and already had spots on his legs. Some 3-toed have 4 toes, so that/s not a positive indication. Their coloring looks like Eastern to me, but that's just a guess. As morning comes you'll get an expert to tell you. They might even be too young to tell...hey...@terryo

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
You? Hell! Me...I want that second guy. Darn is he cute and already had spots on his legs. Some 3-toed have 4 toes, so that/s not a positive indication. Their coloring looks like Eastern to me, but that's just a guess. As morning comes you'll get an expert to tell you. They might even be too young to tell...hey...@terryo
No way, kelly tells me he has one 3 toe hatchling but I can't have him because he's being sent to you. You're on my list Maggie, lol

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hey, when Maggie and Tortdad isn't looking hand them over:) lol! Too cute and look like they will have some nice color!

Synirr

Haha, ugh yes, they are way too cute... makes me want to keep them all to myself, but I will have to pursue a permit for the number of turtles I have already when we move to Florida next month. Assuming they are purebred T. carolina carolina, these are the parents. They have lovely matching shells :)

20140612_192405.jpg

He's a little more orangey than he looks in this pic, more like the female.
WP_000877_zps279321a6.jpg

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wow, blues! Great looking parents. Man, those are some keepers. I would pay the permit and keep 1 or 2 at least.