Hatchling Enclosure Coming Along

CnR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I will be getting a hatchling in a couple of weeks. Here is the enclosure I am working on until I can get a really nice outdoor one outside in Texas. I bought the Eco Earth Coir and Cypress Mulch for a substrate. Might mix with some topsoil but scared because I haven't found any that are clean, especially because of the pandemic everything is closed or sold out. The T5HO 10uvb light will be here tomorrow and I am building a stand for the fixture it will hang shown in the red box in the picture. I also need to go buy a smaller saucer for the water the one I have is a Lil big so going to buy two smaller ones for food and water. The plastic tub is 30"x16" I think will be ok for a little while don't want the Lil baby to get lost. Open for suggestions!! Super excited for the Lil tort to get here from TortoiseSupply. 2.jpg1.jpg

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Posted in a facebook group and getting alot of feedback against the plastic tub that i shouldnt use it beacuse its a fire hazard and it releases chemicals. Also some say its too clear. Should i be looking into a new enclosure or can i sand the outside a lil to make it not so clear. Thoughts???

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Posted in a facebook group and getting alot of feedback against the plastic tub that i shouldnt use it beacuse its a fire hazard and it releases chemicals. Also some say its too clear. Should i be looking into a new enclosure or can i sand the outside a lil to make it not so clear. Thoughts???
You shouldn't listen to facebook groups, full of BS. That tub is perfectly fine. I think it's not clear enough that it sort of is a visual barrier, like it is unclear enough already, and you won't need to sand or anything.

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
You shouldn't listen to facebook groups, full of BS. That tub is perfectly fine. I think it's not clear enough that it sort of is a visual barrier, like it is unclear enough already, and you won't need to sand or anything.
Thanks. I was freaking out a little. Like even on hermanni haven it suggest plastic tub for hatchlings and tortoisesupply. I have time to change it up.

ComeNT8kIt

Houston/Tx
I will be getting a hatchling in a couple of weeks. Here is the enclosure I am working on until I can get a really nice outdoor one outside in Texas. I bought the Eco Earth Coir and Cypress Mulch for a substrate. Might mix with some topsoil but scared because I haven't found any that are clean, especially because of the pandemic everything is closed or sold out. The T5HO 10uvb light will be here tomorrow and I am building a stand for the fixture it will hang shown in the red box in the picture. I also need to go buy a smaller saucer for the water the one I have is a Lil big so going to buy two smaller ones for food and water. The plastic tub is 30"x16" I think will be ok for a little while don't want the Lil baby to get lost. Open for suggestions!! Super excited for the Lil tort to get here from TortoiseSupply. View attachment 293250View attachment 293251

I’ve been looking for baby Hermann’s. I’m in south Texas and looking for a breeder. This will be my first tortoise. Have you worked with Tortoise Supply before?

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I’ve been looking for baby Hermann’s. I’m in south Texas and looking for a breeder. This will be my first tortoise. Have you worked with Tortoise Supply before?
Yay someone else from texas !! Yes, tortoisesupply is one of the recommended breeders here. Great guy and very helpful and responsive.

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Does anyone have a guide or suggestions on how far away the UVB light should be? I bought the zoomed T5HO 24W 10.0UVB light.

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Does anyone have a guide or suggestions on how far away the UVB light should be? I bought the zoomed T5HO 24W 10.0UVB light.
I looked on Zoo Med site and looks like 7-8 inches based on the bulb I got.

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
One other question....??? I am going to buy a thermostat to maintain 80degrees with CHE @ night. because I plan on keeping the enclosure lid on at night to increase humidity. The question I have is the humidity with the lid on would up in the mid or high 90s is that too high ???

Domm

PA
I have the same hatchling on the way and i've been freaking out over getting the best stuff for the enclosure. I know how fragile hatchlings are. I also live in PA and the weather is super cold outside most of the year except summer. I need the perfect bulbs and heat sources. I'd take any advice too. Petco seems to not have any of the bulbs mentioned on here.

AdamK

Dallas, Texas
If I can recommend - Arizona Tortoise Compound is awesome! Great experience!

Reactions: CnR

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
If I can recommend - Arizona Tortoise Compound is awesome! Great experience!
Thanks for the recommendation. I have been waiting for TortoiseSupply to get some in (He mentioned early May) but I am getting too excited to wait. everything is all setup ready to go. :)

AdamK

Dallas, Texas
Thanks for the recommendation. I have been waiting for TortoiseSupply to get some in (He mentioned early May) but I am getting too excited to wait. everything is all setup ready to go. :)
TortoiseSupply is also good place! I watched a lot of YouTube videos from that guy. I checked and a whole bunch of his tortoises are out of stock. If you don't want to wait, Arizona Tortoise Compound seems to have more in stock. Good luck!

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
TortoiseSupply is also good place! I watched a lot of YouTube videos from that guy. I checked and a whole bunch of his tortoises are out of stock. If you don't want to wait, Arizona Tortoise Compound seems to have more in stock. Good luck!
Appreciate it !! Yea I looked on ATC this morning and there are sold out on Hermanns now :-(

AdamK

Dallas, Texas
Appreciate it !! Yea I looked on ATC this morning and there are sold out on Hermanns now :-(
When I got mine last week, he had last 4. It seems they are getting sold out all over the place. Also, try Chris Leone at Garden State Tortoise From NJ.

CnR

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
**Update**
I get my hatchling in 3 days. Got everything setup, just need to finish my UVB Bulb stand to go across the enclosure and a small plant saucer for water. Super excited. I set the temp controller at 80 for the CHE bulb on the right and under the basking lamp its gets up too 95-100 F. I am mounting the UVB T5 10.0 bulb about 12-13 inches from the top of substrate. Substrate is made up of coir and cypress mulch. Cant wait to share pictures of the lil one.CE717E1B-57A5-4068-AB67-FEFB014E299E.jpeg
046B5860-135C-43DF-82F9-15EFD3DCC4B9.jpeg

DebbiLynn

Austin, Texas
Looks great, and congrats. I’m setting up my enclosure today, almost exactly the same as yours, except my plant is an Alovera. We do have allot in common. I’m also in TX, and I’m getting my Eastern Hermann’s Hatchling on Tuesday. I’m so excited.