hatchling info

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
washington state
hey so im about to get a red foot hatchling, but people have told me different things about the diet that i want to know. first of all is calcium, am i supposed to put calcium on there food as hatchlings because someone told me that you're not supposed too. and about feeding them fruit, am i supposed to as hatchlings, i have been told not to. lastly protein, what should i feed him for protein? i was thinking giving him a boiled egg or mice every 2 weeks, is that okay? and any other info on a hatchlings diet would be very helpful right now!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats on the new torts. I don't know about them, but there are a lot of members here that do. So hang on, they will be here soon. The best info to follow is on TFO.:D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
As a hatchling .... your little guy should start with mixed greens. Trying to offer it an array of food at such a young age is not necessary ….*example “ you probably wouldn’t offer a steak and mashed potatoes to a baby would you” ? Trying to achieve or provide the best is always exciting , but there is such thing as overkill. The calcium is fine and at a young age will help with healthy growth , but then again if given the proper diet and natural sun needed supplements are not always necessary especially so young. Start with simple greens and use “fruits or Proteins” .. as “Treat” .. items .. Not a main course or timely offering. Get them use to eating other flora .. such as rose buds, hibiscus , even fresh baby grass. All are excellent for a growing youngster. As treats,,, mushrooms are great, they go nuts over them and is loaded with " good stuff "for body. Mango,nanners,cacti, melon all good treat items as well . And of course ... warm Mazuri...:p Staying hydrated is the most important thing for a hatchling RF or Cherry . With 2-3 soaks a day optimal.

JD~:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Note to self no more steak and potatoes for babies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Note to self no more steak and potatoes for babies.

Ha H ...DJ .... well of course .. if it's " well blended" ..right? :p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
We don't know a ton about what tortoise hatchlings eat in the wild. There are some really interesting theories, and a few tantalizing factoids, but little hard data.

In general, most keepers feed their little guys the same they do their big guys- just less of it and cut or torn up a little smaller to accomodate the smaller mouth.

Calcium: They need a SMALL amount of calcium every day. The dosage is small enough that it is easily overdone for a small tortoise, so many of us just offer good calcium-rich foods and a tiny pinch of extra calcium 1-2 times a week or so.

Fruits: There is no reason I know of to not offer fruit to a hatchling- with two important things to note:

1. One of the annoying things about animal diets compared to human is that the word 'fruit' means different things to different groups. To scientists, science writers, etc. a 'fruit' is the edible part of a plant with seeds in it (it is actually a bit more technical than that, but this works.) To most of us, however, a fruit is a SWEET, MOIST edible part of a plant with seeds.

Technically, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, squash, pumpkin, all berries, nuts and grains, and so on are all fruits. For a fruit-eating tortoise, many of these are better choices than the typical 'sweet' fruits. Squash, pumpkin, and green peppers are especially good choices. They are lower in calories,sugars, and moisture and just overall nice.

2. Fruits should not form a big part of the diet. Overall, they should be about 20-25% of the overall diet, and as noted, most of it should be the lower calorie, lower sugar, lower moisture stuff.

Meats: Red-footed tortoises, like many other omnivorous tortoises and land turtles, enjoy and can digest meat proteins, but there is not a lot of evidence that they need much in a captive diet where so many of the greens we offer already have plant proteins in them. However, offering some meat once in a while is fine. Overall, it should be about 5% or so of the total diet.

There are a lot of articles, links, etc. in the Tortoise Library, linked below.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
If you do decide on “protein” items it will be years down the line before your reds will chow a pinkie, but here is a great source. Try using butter worms or wax worms , both loaded with proteins and on the plus side have no shell casings like mealworms. Tends to be much easier on the digestive tract on the babies, with less chance of impaction .

JD~

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
thank you everyone for the help, i'll make sure to give high calcium foods with a little bit of calcium a couple times a week. and maybe try the worms sometime, but i will make sure to give him a good diet

Status
Not open for further replies.