Hatchling Keeps Flipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfranklin

5 Year Member
I have had my hatchling for about a month now and Griffen is about 3 months old. As of right now it is in a 40gallon tank just until my Uncle gets back from holidays and can make me a proper tortoise table.

Everytime I come home he seems to have flipped itself over. And Griffen does not even try to flip itself back over. I have made sure to remove everything out of the tank that Griffen can climb on only leaving his water and food dish while I am away from home. I am using plantation soil as a substrate. And I have covered around the tank with black paper.

My 5yo son says Griffen keeps trying to commit suicide and I dont know why. Do you think he just does not like his tank and is climbing the walls? Why do they not try to flip back over? And how long can it go on its back? Griffen always seems to flip himself over on the cool side, its only flipped over under the heat lamp once.

I have anxiety everytime I open my front door cause I am scared I will find Griffen dead once of these times.

Yuttt

5 Year Member
rfranklin said:
I have had my hatchling for about a month now and Griffen is about 3 months old. As of right now it is in a 40gallon tank just until my Uncle gets back from holidays and can make me a proper tortoise table.

Everytime I come home he seems to have flipped itself over. And Griffen does not even try to flip itself back over. I have made sure to remove everything out of the tank that Griffen can climb on only leaving his water and food dish while I am away from home. I am using plantation soil as a substrate. And I have covered around the tank with black paper.

My 5yo son says Griffen keeps trying to commit suicide and I dont know why. Do you think he just does not like his tank and is climbing the walls? Why do they not try to flip back over? And how long can it go on its back? Griffen always seems to flip himself over on the cool side, its only flipped over under the heat lamp once.

I have anxiety everytime I open my front door cause I am scared I will find Griffen dead once of these times.
I read up a bit on it, and apparently being flipped does not harm the tortoise much, unless it is in the sun (or hot lit area). Also, what is the substrate you have? If it's harder, maybe it will be easier for him to flip over. Pictures might help other people figure it out. And by the way, I'm pretty sure Griffen is NOT trying to commit suicide.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.