Little Dude keeps flipping

Galwaygirl92

I've been trying to make his enclosure flip proof, and yet almost every day Willoughby manages to flip himself over. So far he hasn't figured out how to flip back over and I was just wondering if he could possibly hurt himself by doing this. It never happens in the hot part of his enclosure and he doesn't have a water bowl (I soak him daily), just wanted to double check that this was normal. He doesn't really seem to be learning not to do it! GRRR (ps, he's still a little dude, only about seven months old)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436425411.333007.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436425427.229535.jpg

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hi there, love the pic of your tort looking out the window :). i'd be careful if you got him/her out there though as may be bit chilly.

how deep and what substrate are you using? post up some pics if poss and it should help find a solution

Galwaygirl92

We keep him plenty warm, he was out for a stretch before his morning soak!

I use a cypress mulch for most of his tank and a bit of dirt( can't remember the exact name) for where he sleeps as he prefers to burrow in it. It's maybe two inches, granted he moves it around a bit with his burrowing so it's different all over

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He is flipping for a reason. It is not normal. Figure out why and fix it. Is it a corner? An object? What?

Galwaygirl92

It's usually in front of his log. He used to climb on top but we blocked that bit off, so I'm not sure what he's managing to flip himself on. This weekend we'll be removing his log entirely for a new hide hole

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Also, not to be a total creep, but I noticed you're from Scotland, do you mind me asking what part?

lol, we are in sunny paisley! ( Glasgow)

perhaps 'packing' a thicker bed of substrate at the offending area would help flipping?

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
*prevent flipping. if nothing else should allow for a better chance of him/her righting over?

Galwaygirl92

Oh that's great! I'm actually moving to Stirling soon.

I'll try that then. He's being a major jerk about it and gets pretty huffy about the whole thing.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Oh that's great! I'm actually moving to Stirling soon.

I'll try that then. He's being a major jerk about it and gets pretty huffy about the whole thing.

i work there from time to time at the phoenix car sales! in the shadows valeting right enough lol.

our wee dude fido used to love throwing himself off the half log so bedded it in to provide a cushie landing and never found him overturned so hopefully it'll work for you too