Baby Flipping Over!

Adriel Vinson

Location (City and/or State)
Opelika, AL
I desperately need help for my hatchling Hermann's tortoise. He flips onto his back a lot of the time when I'm home. I wouldn't be worried so much but he doesn't know how to flip himself back over. He'll just lay there. I put rocks in his enclosure so that he'll have something to help right himself but sometimes he'll still land flat on his back anyway. :( help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For some reason, baby tortoises (not just the Hermanni) experience an awful lot of time on their backs. You can take comfort in the fact that after about a week, once they get their sea legs, they seem to get the hang of it and are able to walk and get around on all four feet instead of on their back. Just make sure to eliminate any climbing hazards and anything that looks like it may encourage him to tip over.

Koen

5 Year Member
Belgium
Same here. The first week when my baby puglia's were in their enclosure there was always 1 on his back when I looked at them. I have removed everything that encourages them to clime and it is much better though so I wouldn't worry to much. After a couple of weeks it will improve

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I desperately need help for my hatchling Hermann's tortoise. He flips onto his back a lot of the time when I'm home. I wouldn't be worried so much but he doesn't know how to flip himself back over. He'll just lay there. I put rocks in his enclosure so that he'll have something to help right himself but sometimes he'll still land flat on his back anyway. :( help!

Hello and welcome

Can you post photos of your enclosure and lighting so we can see if we can spot anything that's an obvious cause.

Bee62

Germany
Hermann tortoises are known that they like to climb. My two yearlings climb regulary on their wooden hide and sometimes fall and land on their back, but they always flip themselves back again.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I get putting rocks in there to help him flip back over but I would avoid that just because you are creating more flipping hazards. Keep low profile food and water dishes, "flip proof" hides if possible (I attached verticals boards to my log hides), and avoid decorations. Even doing all this you are still likely to experience flipping over but it will gradually decrease over time.