Hatchling Leo

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Oh wow, I wonder if that is a small man or if the leo really is that massive... Could this possibly be a hybrid?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is a very old picture of a Somalian leopard. It is usually included along with this one:

fe27a6ed55eab371efc8f256e890288f--giant-tortoise-tortoises.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have to say I think they are one of the most beautiful tort species out there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd be almost willing to bet that "man" has seen to it not many of them exist anymore.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The largest Somalia and Ethiopian (Rift Valley) Leo I have a reliable record of is 150 pounds+. There are actual breeders in Taiwan, China, Japan, and hopefully still Spain. They seem to have distinct scute markings but, no, it's not a 'dot' count like one famous cheloniologist in AZ suggested. It's more like the light colored patch in each scute is what I think of as bat-wing silhouette. I don't know a better way to describe it. Off and one a few with that color silhouette have been posted here. All non-USA owners.

There are other images as JPA ranch on FaceBook (Taiwan), and on Japanese tortoise people's feed on Facebook. There have been huge exports of them to China and Japan who have offered economic development to that part of Africa.

That is a sensational looking tortoise.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I have never heard of Somalian leopards! Got to learn something new today[emoji1] [emoji106] [emoji217]

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Such a cool shell on SUCH a big tort...I am surprised these aren't being bred in the states and sold at reptile shows.