Hatchling Sulcata Substrate Question

Bkelly

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Hi everyone, I need an opinion. I have read the other forums about substrate and for sulfate hatchlings. What is the best combination for me to use? I was thinking about getting coco coir and orchid bark from a hydroponic store near me? Any suggestions? Would cypress mulch and coco coir be better at all? Someone also mentioned to me to try coco coir and top soil?

tristanlook67

My hatchling sulcata is on just Cyprus mulch but this is also my first tortoise but he seems happy with it to me I haven't had any problems

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Haha u asked this on Facebook and Charlie told u the hydroponic store right? He puts out lots of wrong information. Coco coir is fine. I have found I like cypress mulch the best

krh11b23

5 Year Member
U don't have to mix them if u don't want but they all work fine coco coir top soil or cypress mulch. Do not use sand tho. I know Charlie told u to mix in sand. I would not do this as it can cause impaction

stephen killion

So I'm not sure if maybe different individuals respond to subtrates differently, but my experience is a 50/50 mixture of coco coir and organic top soil from home depot works far, far, far better than cyprus mulch.
My sulcta hatchling was my first tort and we started with cyprus mulch. It dried far to quickly and he started to develope shell rot. So I started a 50/50 of cyprus and soil, slightly better but still not great. Then made the switch to coco/soil and HOLY COW the change in his shell has been amazing. He is shinier than he has ever been. He is more active. It stays hydrated SOOOO much better. If it's hydrated properly you should have a nice dryness on top with the moist stuff just below the surface when he burroughs in. i also use one of those plasic clothing tubs that is completely open at the top so he gets plenty of air and tons of space. Plus it gives him a great variation of lighting from his uv bulb on one side to completely lightless on the other if he gets too warm or just wants to chill out
Hope this helps :)

Bkelly

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
U don't have to mix them if u don't want but they all work fine coco coir top soil or cypress mulch. Do not use sand tho. I know Charlie told u to mix in sand. I would not do this as it can cause impaction
Yea i was on fb i was looking for sifferent opinions haha! But Im going to go to the hydroponic store and see if they have the coco coir. If not I'll have to order online.

stephen killion

I've seen that people like moss and I got some myself but my little guy kept on trying to eat it so I had to take it out. It does seem to work with some people but if you do get it, keep an eye on him and see if yours does the same

krh11b23

5 Year Member
So I'm not sure if maybe different individuals respond to subtrates differently, but my experience is a 50/50 mixture of coco coir and organic top soil from home depot works far, far, far better than cyprus mulch.
My sulcta hatchling was my first tort and we started with cyprus mulch. It dried far to quickly and he started to develope shell rot. So I started a 50/50 of cyprus and soil, slightly better but still not great. Then made the switch to coco/soil and HOLY COW the change in his shell has been amazing. He is shinier than he has ever been. He is more active. It stays hydrated SOOOO much better. If it's hydrated properly you should have a nice dryness on top with the moist stuff just below the surface when he burroughs in. i also use one of those plasic clothing tubs that is completely open at the top so he gets plenty of air and tons of space. Plus it gives him a great variation of lighting from his uv bulb on one side to completely lightless on the other if he gets too warm or just wants to chill out
Hope this helps :)
Hmm I've never heard of shell rot with a sulcata. I thought they are pretty much immune to it

Last edited:

Chantel

5 Year Member
Yuba City, CA
I put moss in my enclosure yesterday, and so far my little one has not tried to eat it, but definitely listen to the more experienced people here. She/He is learning to check her bowl every time I put something in it though. It's kind of funny. I read that sulcatas act like dogs in this manner, they come to their owners. She is learning quick that humans = food! :)

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Make sure you buy plain coco coir. Some hydroponic stores carry coco coir that is supplemented with nutrients.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bkelly:

Substrate boils down to a personal choice and what works and gives you what you're looking for. I used to really love cypress mulch, but for about the last year, the pieces are too big for my babies to walk on. If I spend a lot of $$ and buy the Zoo Med product at the pet store, I can still get the cypress mulch with smaller particles, but it costs a lot more in those small bags. So now I use orchid bark. Orchid bark comes in three 'kibble' sizes - small, medium and large. I buy the small kibble. Orchids are sensitive so the bark you buy especially for orchids is very clean, with no herbicides or pesticides or fertilizers. The reason I really like it is because it is clean. The babies don't track it into their food. Yes, it still gets tracked into the waterer, but that's really unavoidable. I stay away from anything with dirt or sand. I've seen first hand sand impaction radiographs of baby tortoises. I also stay away from coco coir because of the strings. I've seen babies with those coconut strings sticking out of their mouths and out of their cloaca. I don't like that. Not that I know of any danger involved, I just don't like it.

So, try them all and make up your own mind. What you're looking for is a substrate that's easy for the baby to walk on, fairly clean, doesn't turn sour when wet, won't cause impaction if accidentally eaten, and that you can keep moist so the habitat will be humid.

You also want to cover or partially cover the habitat to keep the warm, moist air inside and the cooler house air out.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Hi Bkelly:

Substrate boils down to a personal choice and what works and gives you what you're looking for. I used to really love cypress mulch, but for about the last year, the pieces are too big for my babies to walk on. If I spend a lot of $$ and buy the Zoo Med product at the pet store, I can still get the cypress mulch with smaller particles, but it costs a lot more in those small bags. So now I use orchid bark. Orchid bark comes in three 'kibble' sizes - small, medium and large. I buy the small kibble. Orchids are sensitive so the bark you buy especially for orchids is very clean, with no herbicides or pesticides or fertilizers. The reason I really like it is because it is clean. The babies don't track it into their food. Yes, it still gets tracked into the waterer, but that's really unavoidable. I stay away from anything with dirt or sand. I've seen first hand sand impaction radiographs of baby tortoises. I also stay away from coco coir because of the strings. I've seen babies with those coconut strings sticking out of their mouths and out of their cloaca. I don't like that. Not that I know of any danger involved, I just don't like it.

So, try them all and make up your own mind. What you're looking for is a substrate that's easy for the baby to walk on, fairly clean, doesn't turn sour when wet, won't cause impaction if accidentally eaten, and that you can keep moist so the habitat will be humid.

You also want to cover or partially cover the habitat to keep the warm, moist air inside and the cooler house air out.
Is it okay to use cotton burr compost mulch as a substrate

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it okay to use cotton burr compost mulch as a substrate

I've never heard of that, or of anyone using that, so I have no idea. I have tried just about every other substrate that you can imagine and I find that fine grade orchid bark works best for sulcata babies. You can buy it in bulk at any garden center.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
I've never heard of that, or of anyone using that, so I have no idea. I have tried just about every other substrate that you can imagine and I find that fine grade orchid bark works best for sulcata babies. You can buy it in bulk at any garden center.
Would a picture better help you in deciding if it would be okay to use

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would a picture better help you in deciding if it would be okay to use
That won't hurt, but because I've never heard of it and because it has no history of safe use with 1000's of reptile keepers all over the world, I can't see any scenario where I would recommend it over known safe substrates.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
That won't hurt, but because I've never heard of it and because it has no history of safe use with 1000's of reptile keepers all over the world, I can't see any scenario where I would recommend it over known safe substrates.

Attachments

• cottonburrcompost.jpg
    cottonburrcompost.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 10