Hatchling tortoise won't eat?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Hi and Welcome. Usually the main reason tortoises don't eat is because they are not warm enough. What are your temps in your enclosure?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
How long have you owned him and was he eating fine before, but now he stopped? Can you post a picture of the enclosure you have him in so we can help? The more info we have, the more we can help:) welcome!

On the main side of the tank it's 80 to 90 degrees and I have had him for about 6 days.

On the other side of the tank it's usually 75 to 80

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392530100.886689.jpg it is a 20 gallon tank and the rock with the banana is where I made for him so he can bask and eat

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If a tortoise is new to an environment they can take a few weeks or more to completely settle in....make sure you keep your temps bang on and let the tort relax with little unnecessary handling...also would offer lots of places for the tort to retreat and hide....also, if you are offering up high humidity in the enclosure at all times...I would make sure your temps (day and night) don't fall below 80 degrees....again, this is if you are running higher humidity :D

It is not unusual for a tort to not eat right off, may take a week or more before you see the tort eat....also, when you offer the food, don't sit and watch---walk aways, most like a moment of privacy when new and sneaking a bite to eat...

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
It's not bad but it can definitely be larger. Also, it might need to be a bit more dim. Either have dimmer lights or go heavy with plants. If using real, make sure they don't have pesticides, heavy fertilizers, or perlite.

You can also dump a few inches of new zealand sphagnum moss in there for the little guy to bury into. Also helps with the high humidity yellows need.