Hatchlings

Grfox1

Location (City and/or State)
Frostburg, MD
For those of you that keep multiple box turtles, what do you with the offspring? I have applied for a breeder's permit which would allow me to only 'sell' babies less than 4" outside the state. My intent is not really to sell but realize it may be impossible to keep every hatchling. Is it possible to release captive bred hatchlings in the wild at all? I know this is done for many endangered species at a very young age.

Also, if you keep some of the hatchlings, is there concern of inbreeding with siblings and parents?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I always adopted them out.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
For those of you that keep multiple box turtles, what do you with the offspring? I have applied for a breeder's permit which would allow me to only 'sell' babies less than 4" outside the state. My intent is not really to sell but realize it may be impossible to keep every hatchling. Is it possible to release captive bred hatchlings in the wild at all? I know this is done for many endangered species at a very young age.

Also, if you keep some of the hatchlings, is there concern of inbreeding with siblings and parents?
Inbreeding turtles can be bad. I keep the parents separate from babies. I'd like to look into a breeders permit too. How do you go about it? Because I usually just keep mine.