Have a credt card reward program? want free rewards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So I found this article, I don't have the link about people getting free airline miles from their credit card company. The basic idea is you go to the US mint website and order 1000 dollars worth of dollar coins, use your credit card, they ship them free to you in about 2 weeks, when the coins come you deposit them into your bank account and then pay the bill before you are charged interest. So what do you think unethical? it is not illegal, but would you consider it unethical?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Nothing unethical. Though I wouldn't do it unless I had enough to pay the credit card off in case the coins were delayed for whatever reason.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I'm guessing when you agree to their terms which include the statements "The immediate bank deposit of $1 coins ordered through this Program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the program." and "By clicking “Add to Cart” I agree that I understand, and will comply with, the intended purpose of the program."; failing to do so is very likely a felony.

Don't know for sure but I ain't gonna find out... If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tuff! :D

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
This is My opinion

Ethics: Moral principles that govern a person's or group's behavior.
Moral: Concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.

In light of those two definitions I would say yes, this is unethical. I do not think it is “right” behavior, because you are cheating a reward system to reward you for doing nothing…

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I would not do it, but I would think about it.

Come to think of it, there are probably a lot of ways to rack up miles if you have the time, energy and lack of ethics.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Fernando said:
This is My opinion

Ethics: Moral principles that govern a person's or group's behavior.
Moral: Concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.

In light of those two definitions I would say yes, this is unethical. I do not think it is “right” behavior, because you are cheating a reward system to reward you for doing nothing…

I'm not sure how this would be considered "cheating" the reward system. The credit card company will still make money off the transaction, which is the whole point of the reward system: to get people to use their card more.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I view it as cheating the tax payers, the Mint pays shipping, adsorbs credit card processing fees, it is stupid of the government to do this in the first place. All to promote dollars that no one wants or needs to carry and use. I read a related story of how they are now spending tons of money to build vaults to hold all these unused coins. I was considering writing them an telling them to send me all the unused coins, I promise to put them into the economy and use them.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
It costs the mint about 7-8 cents to mint a dollar coin. Is that the "cheating"? All tolled, it probably costs 10-15 cents to have them delivered to your doorstep so they make a tidy little profit. I prefer them selling those 15 cent coins for a dollar to someone willing to buy them than 'stealing' those dollar coins which cost me a dollar directly from my pocket...

By the way, if you run out of room for all of those coins they're going to send you; I volunteer to be an overflow storage facility!

Status
Not open for further replies.