Care Credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
After having emergency vet visits about wipe me out twice in one year, I discovered this little thing called "Care Credit." (My vet's office put me on to it.)

It is a line of credit specifically for medical purposes, including vets. We were approved for a $500 line of credit (suitable for most emergencies, barring those requiring major surgery.) We had to use it to pick up some of the bill for our last visit (which sadly resulted in having one of our kitties, Krissy, put to sleep) and the amount charged on the credit card is 6 months interest free.

Anyway, I thought I would share this. It can be used for people too - at doctors offices and dentists, etc. You can search and see who in your area accepts it. We already paid our balance off, but we are certainly keeping the card - I know it will save our butts in the future. I know that no one is made of money in this day and age, and something like this really gives you peace of mind.

http://www.carecredit.com/

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
kyryah said:
After having emergency vet visits about wipe me out twice in one year, I discovered this little thing called "Care Credit." (My vet's office put me on to it.)

It is a line of credit specifically for medical purposes, including vets. We were approved for a $500 line of credit (suitable for most emergencies, barring those requiring major surgery.) We had to use it to pick up some of the bill for our last visit (which sadly resulted in having one of our kitties, Krissy, put to sleep) and the amount charged on the credit card is 6 months interest free.

First I'd like to say I'm sorry about your kitten. Thats sad.
And yeah.... the care credit helps many people. I've had dogs for a long time so have learned to set aside a Vet savings. Believe me I know how fast it can be used up. But I'll tell you, in my area a $500 credit wouldnt do much. An ear infection out here is $300. 2 yrs ago my female dogs got into a fight. Deena got 7 sutures across her nose and another 7 to sew a laceration on a rear leg. Mia got 6 stitches on the top of her paw and a drain tube in the "arm pit" with 1 suture on either side. The ER visit cost $3000. No major surgery and nothing life threatening. It floored me. I remember the vet coming in to have me sign the estimate. She said it would be 1500 to 1800 ... I'm thinking, okay a little high but not bad and I expected around 1200. Then she says - "Each" ... I was speechless. I cant help but think how many poor pets have to be put to sleep for non life threatening injuries because owners cant afford those kinds of costs.
And 2 months before that another of my dogs blew his ACL so that was another 4k. I took him to the Ortho that did his 1st surgery tho ... here in the desert that same surgery would have cost 6k.
So yeah ... I understand your situation.

tomn

5 Year Member
norcal
Its a good deal if your pay it of in six months the apr is 0% after that the rate jumps to 29% your better off opening a rainy day bank account

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The problem with rainy day bank accounts is that they end up getting used for a car breaking down, etc. I have one of those. But this is specifically for medical expenses, and if I can't pay off $500 in 6 months, I have a more serious problem than just vet bills LOL.

Yvie, WOW. I am just floored. A few years ago I had to have the vet come 30 miles (one way) out to my farm, 5 times in ONE DAY. My horse had antibiotics, fluids, and we ran a tube up his nose and his stomach was pumped full of mineral oil. Total cost was LESS THAN $500!!!! I can IMAGINE being charged that much for vet care. That is flat out highway robbery!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.