Too Much Postage!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So I ordered something from Amazon, something I do frequently, paying for it on my credit card. The item was around $40 and the postage they charged my credit card was $25. Yesterday there was a notice in my mailbox that the post office had tried to deliver a package but my gate was closed, and the postage due is $55.55. I already paid $25 and now they want $55.55 more? $80.55 postage for a $40 item? The item was 17lbs, coming from Florida. Today I'm going to the post office to tell them to return the item to sender, but my question is, since Amazon already has my credit card number, how can I be sure the additional postage isn't charged to my credit card? I went on Amazon and clicked 'return', but a window popped up that this item isn't returnable. To tell the truth, I'd rather take the hit for the original $40 plus $25 postage and not get the item, than pay an additional $55.55. Highway robbery!!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
...@Yvonne, I am NOT jive ****n now and I mean I am very expert in this...

If you do ANY shopping on Amazon you need to be paying the $14.99 a month for Amazon Prime...Ya get free TV stations, download free music, and best of all...FREE SHIPPING... last friday I got 42 pounds of cat litter...free shipping....9 pounds of bird seed...and best of freakin all...most is delivered over night. Damn...you are seriously behind the times if you don't have Prime...yep, I'm sorta addicted
also if you don't have PayPal and you do any shopping on the Internet you really need PayPal. It costs nothing to get an account, and when it's time to check out and you don't trust the company (temu)...you have your choice of your bank account, credit card or PayPal...PayPal is a 1 click and you buy it, company...but you have to be very careful (well, maybe not you) but if a person has an addictive personality both Amazon Prime and PayPal make it soooooo easy to buy crap...yep...I be knowing that's true...lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Zeropilot post.
I never buy from Amazon unless I get free shipping. The postage/shipping nowadays is ridiculous, as you are finding out. I'm thinking the second postage charge is someone trying to scam you. How can they charge one charge then after the order had been okayed and purchased, they add on another charge!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I buy a lot on Amazon and I have prime. I can get stuff for my niece and ship free directly to her. Lyns and I listen to the music and she watches tv. It works out well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I buy a lot on Amazon and I have prime. I can get stuff for my niece and ship free directly to her. Lyns and I listen to the music and she watches tv. It works out well.
You can get free shipping without prime too as long as you buy the minimum and not some of those off Amazon stuff. But the other perks isn't there.
I don't do prime.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Careful about going through the credit card company; if it results in a charge back against Amazon, they'll ban you. It sounds like it was someone else selling through Amazon, but I think it's Amazon that charges the credit card.

The order should have somewhere to click that there was an problem with it. Its not a return if you never received it.

Or you can try explaining the situation to Amazon help chat, but it might be easier to just write it off as a loss like you were thinking.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Years ago I had Prime when it was only $89 a year, but when my year was up the price had risen to way over $100and I didn't renew.

Last edited:

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Make sure this is actually your order that has the extra postage charge. There are many scams out there saying you owe for a package and it is not the post office or Amazon. It is just an outright scam. They say they tried to deliver or your delivery is waiting for you to pay. I get these all the time and I didn't order anything. So be very careful.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Make sure this is actually your order that has the extra postage charge. There are many scams out there saying you owe for a package and it is not the post office or Amazon. It is just an outright scam. They say they tried to deliver or your delivery is waiting for you to pay. I get these all the time and I didn't order anything. So be very careful.
I've received this type of scam Email twice.
Both times I actually had something I purchased in the mail.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I've received this type of scam Email twice.
Both times I actually had something I purchased in the mail.
Never believe an email or text from anyone you don't know. Always go onto the internet yourself, never thru a link given to you or look up the number and make a call, but never use the phone number that might be in the email or text.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Never believe an email or text from anyone you don't know. Always go onto the internet yourself, never thru a link given to you or look up the number and make a call, but never use the phone number that might be in the email or text.
It was a pseudo USPS email.
Looked legit at first glance

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Amazon does have a phone number. I would call them in person and ask for an answer anyway. That notice screams scam scam scam

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
So I ordered something from Amazon, something I do frequently, paying for it on my credit card. The item was around $40 and the postage they charged my credit card was $25. Yesterday there was a notice in my mailbox that the post office had tried to deliver a package but my gate was closed, and the postage due is $55.55. I already paid $25 and now they want $55.55 more? $80.55 postage for a $40 item? The item was 17lbs, coming from Florida. Today I'm going to the post office to tell them to return the item to sender, but my question is, since Amazon already has my credit card number, how can I be sure the additional postage isn't charged to my credit card? I went on Amazon and clicked 'return', but a window popped up that this item isn't returnable. To tell the truth, I'd rather take the hit for the original $40 plus $25 postage and not get the item, than pay an additional $55.55. Highway robbery!!!!
My understanding when purchasing from Amazon, when you spend $35.00 shipping should be free. But If it's shipped by a third party not Amazon, they have no returns and you pay for shipping. I try not to buy from third party sales. Sorry for your loss of money, but if you need it you have to pay.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I have never heard of the USPS charging additional postage for a Non-reconsigned package. Ever.

Prime was good when my account showed "88 orders in the past 3 months"

But now it says "8"....so I dropped it and just purchase strategically to avoid shipping but beware....i use multiple platforms and often shadow Amazon and Walmart pricing. If you have Prime, your cost is higher....ALWAYS. Not a lot....but you didn't really think the shipping cost disapeared did you? We just "feel better" when we think we are getting something for free.....almost like we were programmed to react that way.....almost JUST like it!

Back to Y's issue....i hope you get a resolution that works for you. Letting go of the initial investment and refocusing on finding what it was that you desired may bring peace.