Have Huge Yard for Tort - species with great personality?

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I can say from experience with my lizards that every individual reptile has a wonderfully different personality.

That being said, if you were to generalize, would you say that some species are more open and friendly than others?

Not as likely to run and hide when approached?

daniellenc

Maryland
REDFOOT and you have great weather for one. They average 10-14 inches and have huge personalities! I knew you’d miss that desert tortoise lol. Hatchlings of any species need daily 30 minutes soaks but watching them grow is fun. Temps under 70 aren’t tolerated well so keep in mind the minimum enclosure size for an adult is 8x3 or 8x4 and unless you’re going to provide an outdoor heated enclosure you’ll need an indoor closed chamber table.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I'm personally attached to our CDTs, but box turtles also have endearing personalities. There are so many great choices!

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
Aldabra actually enjoys being petted and scratched if you want to go with that one
But it's a giant

I love my Sulcata, he's shy and timid NOT when food is around.

But apparently all the giant species become really bold when they get bigger.

Brit G

Texas
REDFOOT and you have great weather for one. They average 10-14 inches and have huge personalities! I knew you’d miss that desert tortoise lol. Hatchlings of any species need daily 30 minutes soaks but watching them grow is fun. Temps under 70 aren’t tolerated well so keep in mind the minimum enclosure size for an adult is 8x3 or 8x4 and unless you’re going to provide an outdoor heated enclosure you’ll need an indoor closed chamber table.

Ah, so glad to hear you say redfoots!cherryheads and leopards are the two I was incredibly interested in. The area I have available is about 20 foot by 20 foot... I wonder if I'd have room for both - a leopard might appreciate that entire space, though!

PS; you called it..., that little tort had more adventurism than all of my lizards combined and it stunned me...addicted and haven't even owned one truly yet lmao
Will be careful about research first, tho!

Brit G

Texas
Not together in the same enclosure, ofc. Two separate enclosures in that 20x20 ft space...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What part of TX are you in? Corpus Cristi has a very different climate than Amarillo. This should matter in the recommendations.

Nothing beats a sulcata for personality, but they get large and destructive.
RFs are great, IF you live in the south east part of TX and have humid weather.
SA leopards get kinda big, are very bold, but they don't dig and aren't nearly as destructive as sulcatas. They can do well in any part of TX and they eat hay, so they are easy to feed when they get larger.
Burmese stars have a great personality, are very adaptable and grow to a much more manageable size.

Brit G

Texas
What part of TX are you in? Corpus Cristi has a very different climate than Amarillo. This should matter in the recommendations.

Nothing beats a sulcata for personality, but they get large and destructive.
RFs are great, IF you live in the south east part of TX and have humid weather.
SA leopards get kinda big, are very bold, but they don't dig and aren't nearly as destructive as sulcatas. They can do well in any part of TX and they eat hay, so they are easy to feed when they get larger.
Burmese stars have a great personality, are very adaptable and grow to a much more manageable size.

Dallas area. Moderately humid here, but no where near as much as Houston or Jasper; nor is it as dry as Amarillo.

Really loving the idea of a SA leopard. Thank you for the recommendation.

Sounds perfect, as I may be moving around when I'm older, but would have to be dragged out of TX to leave permanently.Screenshot_2018-05-10-01-13-16.pngScreenshot_2018-05-10-01-14-11.png

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
Ah, so glad to hear you say redfoots!cherryheads and leopards are the two I was incredibly interested in. The area I have available is about 20 foot by 20 foot... I wonder if I'd have room for both - a leopard might appreciate that entire space, though!

PS; you called it..., that little tort had more adventurism than all of my lizards combined and it stunned me...addicted and haven't even owned one truly yet lmao
Will be careful about research first, tho!
Honestly, I have a bearded dragon and he doesn't do anything much except eat, bask then move to a location to hide. But very picturesque when needed him to be tho haha.
Tortoises on the other hand are just constantly moving everywhere.
You can't bring them anywhere, let's say like in a car, the same way lizards can be brought.

and their appetite is HUGE.
My BD eats every two days while my Sulcata is eating three big meals a day.

Brit G

Texas
Honestly, I have a bearded dragon and he doesn't do anything much except eat, bask then move to a location to hide. But very picturesque when needed him to be tho haha.
Tortoises on the other hand are just constantly moving everywhere.
You can't bring them anywhere, let's say like in a car, the same way lizards can be brought.

and their appetite is HUGE.
My BD eats every two days while my Sulcata is eating three big meals a day.

I relate to every word about the beardie... I like to think their metabolism is slower, since they only eat every few days, and thus conserve their energy. Tortoises on the other hand, perhaps they need to constantly scavenge and forage for food... definitely more interesting to watch!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I have had a Russian and a sulcata in the past. But my Redfoot has more personality than any reptile I have ever owned. She comes to my voice and lets me rub her head! She even will let me occasionally kiss her on the head, if I feel like trying! She is very fun!

daniellenc

Maryland
My red foot is a total character. He marches out of his hide every morning when I go in to mist and check water and is always doing goofy stuff!

kellya31

Indiana
My little guy has been a real challenge for me but it’s just been a week.
He is something else, this little red foot. He is already letting me rub the top of his head.
They are so friendly.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I relate to every word about the beardie... I like to think their metabolism is slower, since they only eat every few days, and thus conserve their energy. Tortoises on the other hand, perhaps they need to constantly scavenge and forage for food... definitely more interesting to watch!
My daughter has a juvenile beardie named Mushu. I call him Norman Bates. He has bitten me twice and just goes crazy in his enclosure. I’ve been hand feeding him lettuce each day. Hoping he will calm down soon.