HE and Basking Lighting Humidity

robbee

Location (City and/or State)
yardley
figuring this out as I go along....I am going to get some plexiglass for my enclosure. I can cut out holes for my HE/Basking lights...how will they be affected by the humidity...ya know the whole thing with electricity and water not being friends and all .... I have all of my fixtures on a surge protector then connect to GFCI outlet ... short out fires are always a concern

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everyone that has a little one and doing it right with a closed chamber enclosure and the proper high humidity is not having problems with the humidity and lights.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
figuring this out as I go along....I am going to get some plexiglass for my enclosure. I can cut out holes for my HE/Basking lights...how will they be affected by the humidity...ya know the whole thing with electricity and water not being friends and all .... I have all of my fixtures on a surge protector then connect to GFCI outlet ... short out fires are always a concern
Better to NOT cut holes in it. Having the lights outside will create a chimney effect that will draw your heat and humidity up and out. All the heating and lighting should be INSIDE the closed chamber. This means you will also use a fraction of the electricity to keep it warm. Humidity is not a problem for the heating and lighting components.

What species and what size tortoise are we talking about?

robbee

yardley
Red Foot Yearlings....can I lay the plexi on top of the enclosure, then a wire mesh, then lay the HE/Basking on top of the screening....