He ate a rock!

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
So I took my sully Hiccup out for a walk in the sun. I stay with him the whole time so he cant get lost. Anywho, before I could reach down and stop him the littlw gem swallowed a rock the size of a pea. Which for comparison is like a human putting a gold ball in their mouth. Is he going to die?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m sure Hiccup will be fine.... If he was having any issues you would have observed them by now.

I’m sure they all pick up bits of rock and other things... this is also why the Forum preaches to one and all to not let torts crawl around house floors. They are quick to find and gobble things up!

Good luck! And make sure you do plenty of soaks and offer cuttle bones.

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
I’m sure Hiccup will be fine.... If he was having any issues you would have observed them by now.

I’m sure they all pick up bits of rock and other things... this is also why the Forum preaches to one and all to not let torts crawl around house floors. They are quick to find and gobble things up!

Good luck! And make sure you do plenty of soaks and offer cuttle bones.
Thanks, what is a cuttle bone? Like for birds? I didnt kmow he needed one

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thanks, what is a cuttle bone? Like for birds? I didnt kmow he needed one

Yes, same exact thing. Excellent source of calcium..and also helps to keep the beak trimmed. Some torts gobble them up, some seem to just know when they need it. So don’t be disappointed if you don’t see your tort eat it right away.. but keep it near their food dish.

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
Yes, same exact thing. Excellent source of calcium..and also helps to keep the beak trimmed. Some torts gobble them up, some seem to just know 2hen they need it. So don’t be disappointed if you don’t see your tort eat it right away.. but keep it near their food dish.
Cool thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would keep an eye on him for any straining when trying to potty. Give extra warm soaks in a large container that he can move around a lot in. It will help that stone to pass. It's been said if it's small enough for them to swallow, then it's small enough to pass. Let's just give that added help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is most commonly seen in tortoises that are fed a diet of mostly grocery store greens. What do you feed you tortoise?

What species and size tortoise are we talking about?

Ann Stonely

5 Year Member
This is most commonly seen in tortoises that are fed a diet of mostly grocery store greens. What do you feed you tortoise?

What species and size tortoise are we talking about?
Sulcata i have been branching out in the greens i buy dandilions watercress mustard greens chicory and he has grass growing in his place

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcata i have been branching out in the greens i buy dandilions watercress mustard greens chicory and he has grass growing in his place

Give this a read through:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
If you follow the advice in this thread, the rock eating will eventually stop.

In the mean time, there is a product called MinerAll made by a company called Sticky Tongue Farms that will restore the mineral balance and also help to stop the rock eating. Adding calcium might make it worse. Too much calcium will further unbalance them and can make this problem worse.