He soaked by hisself

tortmommy

Location (City and/or State)
Ny
IMG_0546.jpg
I know this might sound silly but for the first time in months he soaked all by hisself Iv been trying to show him the bowl so he would get used to it I tried cleaning it and keeping it muddy and finally he is using it even tho the water is dirty

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I’m impressed you got him in there at all; mine would never intentionally use a water bowl unless she’d just come out of hibernation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's great, always fun too see them do what we want them too do.
A side note that I don't know if anyone told you about. That enclosure is likely way too small for an adult Russian. He needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot.
A larger water dish might help him to want too get in too. Too small like that and he can't drink while soaking. Tortoises usually extend their heads out to drink, not just down into the water.

tortmommy

Ny
That's great, always fun too see them do what we want them too do.
A side note that I don't know if anyone told you about. That enclosure is likely way too small for an adult Russian. He needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot.
A larger water dish might help him to want too get in too. Too small like that and he can't drink while soaking. Tortoises usually extend their heads out to drink, not just down into the water.

I did not know that he needed a bigger tank I was told by the pet store that a 40 gallon breeder would be big enough and he seems really happy. And I was also told he is not an adult that he is a year old at most. Thank you for the advice I will look into a bigger enclosure

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I did not know that he needed a bigger tank I was told by the pet store that a 40 gallon breeder would be big enough and he seems really happy. And I was also told he is not an adult that he is a year old at most. Thank you for the advice I will look into a bigger enclosure

The pet store told you that so that they could sell him. He is a wild caught adult, and definitely needs to get out of that 40 gallon.

Please give these a read :)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry they lied too you. That's what they do too sell people all the junk that is not needed or bad. He is not a year old. He is most likely wild caught and between 5-10 years old. In the wild, they roam a very big area, more then one would expect for a smaller species. Read the threads that were linked for you and they will help with what your tort needs.

tortmommy

Ny
Sorry they lied too you. That's what they do too sell people all the junk that is not needed or bad. He is not a year old. He is most likely wild caught and between 5-10 years old. In the wild, they roam a very big area, more then one would expect for a smaller species. Read the threads that were linked for you and they will help with what your tort needs.

I got him in may and he was 1/3 to 1/2 of the size he is now so how can he still be growing that fast if he’s that old.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My guess would be that you are feeding him a much better diet then he was getting at a pet store and before the pet store got him. His shell is rougher looking like a WC and for a 1 year old.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh and they live to around 85 so there is still growing too do. Better conditions and less stress will do wonders.
There is a slight chance he is not WC and slight chance he's younger. More likely then not he is WC and older then 1

tortmommy

Ny
What does WC mean? Wild caught? And I also looked up how old he could be when I got him and every site I looked at said there really is no indication because he depends on environment not age

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, WC does mean wild caught. There is no way of telling a torts age without knowing the hatch date.
However, the WC ones are usually at least around 5 or more. That's why I said 5-10 years and not 5-6 years. There's a big span it could be.
Yes, environment can play a big part on size. The stress of being caught, shipped, housed with who knows how many other Russians, in poorly conditions and then too a warehouse, that houses them before they go to a pet store. It could be in that warehouse for months or years. I have been in one of the warehouses that sells to the chain pet stores along with individual pet stores. They are not housed in a proper way, it's not cost effective.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What does WC mean? Wild caught? And I also looked up how old he could be when I got him and every site I looked at said there really is no indication because he depends on environment not age

In the US, it is illegal to sell tortoises and turtles less than 4 inches in pet stores. It often takes years before they get to that size, and they can even be full grown. Your tortoise definitely isn’t a year old, and is definitely wild caught. In fact, wild caught tortoises are the only tortoises chain pet stores sell.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Returning to the original issue of getting your tortoise to soak. . . a ploy that I've had some success with is to offer our tortoise a much desired treat in the terra cotta soaking dish until such time that he wants to go in on his own. Once the warm bath becomes the treat unto itself, the food treat is no longer necessary. It may take some patience, but give it a try.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
You have already got the best owners giving you advice on the enclosure so I won't bother.

For the self soaking? I find this to be a personality thing mainly. I soak every few days, so perhaps my male doesn't need to self soak...but he refuses to regardless. My female on the other hand does it on a regular basis with a look that suggests she wants a glass of wine too haha.