Head and arms moving when breathing

Molly Curtis

Hi i have read a few write ups on this toping saying its completely normal when they breath for their head and arms to move . But mine dosent seem to do it at all until she spots me, it's like she's scared. But then I read something that says they hide if scared not do this, so I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me?
She's a marginated and just over one year old, thanks.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I too was scared that something was wrong when I first saw this. I was afraid mine had RI and this was a sign of labored breathing. Then one time I thought the tank was too hot... They just do this at some times and not at others. They move those muscle groups to breathe since their chest cavity is contained by the shell and can't expand beyond those boundries

Reactions: Rue

Rue

Canada
I noticed that yesterday with our new baby too...

I wasn't too concerned, but it's nice to know it's normal!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Just watch your pets, observe when and how they do it. Sick animal will show other signs of illness, not moving much, no appetite, closed or tears eyes, bubbles from the nose... Things like that that are normal to your animal's appearance. I just remember how freaked out I was when first started noticing how they "pump" their shoulders, move heads, or throats when breathing or sniffing air. Over time I'm learning what's NORMAL for my animals and what is not

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I remember when I was new to this and worried about this as well. I think I even read it in a book by Andy Highfield or Brian Pursall or someone, saying that if a tortoise uses its arms to breathe, then it is suffering from RI. I was an absolutist when I was a kid, and when I read those books, I took every word to heart. Fortunately, as I grew older, I learned that youngsters just do this sometimes. I also learned that most of the books from those times are now essentially worthless as far as care information goes, which is crazy given so many tortoise keepers I'd met thought that since we were breeding the animals that we had pretty much nailed all of this care business down. But there was massive amounts of ignorance when it came even to native species of chelonian that you could observe in your own backyard.

T.G.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
I just got my to marginated and if i sneak up on them they're not really bobbing their head and arms, but if i walk right up to them they start bobbing right away. Just my observation.