Head bobbing? Lack of soaking? Bad stool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atklosek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hancock, MI
Ive noticed that one of my new torts is acting kinda strange lately. She tends to have her head out and just sit in one spot for long periods of time with her head going up and down. Is this a sign of anything bad? ive read things on it being infections or some sort of breathing problem but im not really sure.

Also if anyone remembers me from my first thread (http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Tortoise-Identification-help)
The one that is having the problems is the one that was active in the begining. Its like they totally switched rolls. The active one is now really shy and the shy one will walk around and be awesome all day long.

Another update: they have started to eat a lot lately. Mostly mushroom, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, and we threw in watermelon once and they seemed to really enjoy that. Still have to try to get some worms because we attempted to feed mealworms and they didnt go for that. Haven't been able to get them to eat any sort of leafy greens yet. and we have also been using a calcium supplement with every third meal.

Also ive noticed that their poop has seemed to be changing up a lot more than it should be. Every once in awhile their they have a nice firm and dark brown stool. Then it will go to a orange liquid sorta paste. So that dosnt seem like its good. Not very sure what to doa bout that so any sort of dietary info would be greatly appreciated!

Some Info about my enclosure that I have setup: Topsoil base, covered with cypress mulch. Rocks and logs scattered about. Fake leaves to provide cover over pretty much the entire outdoor area. Soaking pool deep enough to cover just over the top of the plastron. there is a 150Watt heat emmiter and another 10.0 UVB bulb to provide some light during the dark days here in the UP of MIchigan. Then there is a hide area that is filled with the same stuff and some leafs that ive gathered over the past few weeks. Finally i got a humidifier set up to keep up the humidity for the upcoming dry winter months. I like to keep the whole enclosure at about 75-80% humidity and as warm as i can get it. so thats generally around 65-70 degrees. That is a bit low but i think its going to get a bit better once the heat is turned on for the winter because we have the enclosure right next to our radiator so that should keep things nice and tosty for them.

ALRIGHT that was a lot of updates but i think thats just about it! Once again any sort of input would be greatly appreciated!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
atklosek said:
Ive noticed that one of my new torts is acting kinda strange lately. She tends to have her head out and just sit in one spot for long periods of time with her head going up and down. Is this a sign of anything bad? ive read things on it being infections or some sort of breathing problem but im not really sure.

This is one of those behaviors that could go either way. It could be normal for her, it could be stress or it could be the start of a respiratory illness. She is still eating good correct? Acting normal other then a bit shy? No bubbles, whistling noises? For now, I would to watch her very closely.

atklosek said:
Another update: they have started to eat a lot lately. Still have to try to get some worms because we attempted to feed mealworms and they didnt go for that. Haven't been able to get them to eat any sort of leafy greens yet.

Glad to hear they are eating better, that is usually the one key element to getting them to do well for you. :) Mine as a rule only like the earthworms and butterworms with much consistency. If they have to actually hunt and catch the bug, they seem to ignore them as food items. With some getting them to eat greens can be slow going. Normally if you hide it/cover it with something like mushy sweet potatoe you can get them to eat the greens and finally accept them on their own.

atklosek said:
Also ive noticed that their poop has seemed to be changing up a lot more than it should be. Every once in awhile their they have a nice firm and dark brown stool. Then it will go to a orange liquid sorta paste. So that dosnt seem like its good. Not very sure what to doa bout that so any sort of dietary info would be greatly appreciated!

Guessing the color and consistency change is due to diet.

atklosek said:
Some Info about my enclosure that I have setup: Topsoil base, covered with cypress mulch. Rocks and logs scattered about. Fake leaves to provide cover over pretty much the entire outdoor area. Soaking pool deep enough to cover just over the top of the plastron. there is a 150Watt heat emmiter and another 10.0 UVB bulb to provide some light during the dark days here in the UP of MIchigan. Then there is a hide area that is filled with the same stuff and some leafs that ive gathered over the past few weeks. Finally i got a humidifier set up to keep up the humidity for the upcoming dry winter months. I like to keep the whole enclosure at about 75-80% humidity and as warm as i can get it. so thats generally around 65-70 degrees. That is a bit low but i think its going to get a bit better once the heat is turned on for the winter because we have the enclosure right next to our radiator so that should keep things nice and tosty for them.

You may want to,for now(until you warm up the entire house) try lowering the heat emitter to raise those temps just a bit. Do you see any difference with their behavior or food intake with having the lights on?

atklosek

5 Year Member
Hancock, MI
Yeah she seems to still be eating just fine. So im really hoping that its just a thing she does. But what do you mean by bubbles? Is that like a small popping noise? cause i have noticed something along those lines, but its been from the very begining so i never thought anything of it. I just figured it was from the soaking.

Also since ive placed the lamp on ive noticed them coming out of their hide area a little bit more in the early hours of the day. But havnt really noticed a big change in their eating habits from it. The biggest difference ive gotten out of them is from the humidifier i got set up. I dont think my misting was doing nearly enough to keep the air humid throughout the day and it seemed to just be making the mulch damp and cold. Ive been saving up for a humidifier since i got the torts but then all my bills set me behind. (those things are damn expensive!) But I lucked out and found one that was brand new at Goodwill for only $3 and snatched that up. Now i got it running constantly and they have been out of their shells a lot more and overall just look a lot more comfortable. And their skin seems a lot more moist and normal. Im just upset that it took me so long to get that setup for them :(.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
By bubbles what I was meaning is if you see coming out of the nostrils what looks like bubbles.

Sounds like the humidifier is doing great stuff for you! It takes time to get things right and even then (if your like me) you will be still changing stuff as you go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.