Health issues

tylerfitz420

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Greenbush, NY
I have been offered this female leopard Tortoise. Approximately 8-10 years old. She had what I consider severe pyramiding. The current owner bought her at a garage sale 8 years ago. Crazy right? I want to take her and will quarantine her for 6 months followed by a vet visit. Any other major concerns that I should be aware of. My other female and male are in great shape. So a unhealthy tort scares me kind of. I just want to rescue her.IMG_5674.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Holy cow! I don't think I've ever seen such tall pyramids before. The only thing I can think of that might be bad about it is she's probably the wrong shape for any male to cover her.

She's quite an interesting-looking tortoise. I see why you would want her. All sorts of names spring to mind . Let us know if you get her, and show more pictures, please.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
That's one of the more interesting ones I've seen. Still beautiful though. Perhaps she'd make for a good game of ring-toss? (just kidding!)
She certainly is beautiful.

tylerfitz420

5 Year Member
East Greenbush, NY
I did decide to get her. The woman is giving her to me. I can provide her with a yard in late spring and summer. ( she's never been able to be outside to graze) and I have a free roaming tortoise room for nights and winters. Until we relocate down south.

Melis

Maryland
This is amazing looking. Does anyone know why the shell would pyramid so severely on only certain scutes?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I did decide to get her. The woman is giving her to me. I can provide her with a yard in late spring and summer. ( she's never been able to be outside to graze) and I have a free roaming tortoise room for nights and winters. Until we relocate down south.

Congrats! I'm sure she'll be extremely happy.