Leopard Rescue

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
I purchased (I call it a rescue, since the poor guy is in bad shape) a leopard last night off Kijiji (Canadian version of Craigslist). For $250 (she was asking $300) I got a tort that is pyramiding, low weight, feeling hollow, poorly fed, poorly housed, walked on nothing but clay tiles in her enclosure, wrong temps, the laundry list is endless. At first I said no way, I'm not throwing away good money but when I saw her (I think she's a girl) I could not leave her for another minute in those conditions. I brought her home, gave her warm soaks, she drank like I've never seen before, urinated and pooped all sorts of stuff out, put her in a humid Rubbermaid closed chamber (a bit small, but it was all I could muster up on short notice), put on a MVB, fed her some dandelion, clay saucer of water and let her be. Good news she ate right away last night and this morning. She's about 8 inches in length and a beautiful creamy white shell. I'll post pics soon. She's really beautiful.

I can't get mad at the former owner, she was nice enough, but just had no idea how to keep a tortoise. She purchased her as a hatchling years ago, I think maybe 3 or 4 years now. I hope I can bring her up to tip top shape, I'm off tomorrow so I'll have her outside grazing in the back yard on some pesticide free weeds. I bet she's never seen the sun before or put her feet on grass and soil in her lifetime.

My question is, with all I know about tortoises and all I've read from experienced keepers like Tom and others, how did she make it this far in life under such terrible conditions? This tortoise is a survivor, but most torts I would think would perish, and this little girl be 8 inches in length and eating and drinking like nothing happened in the last 4 years of her life?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises can withstand a lot of neglect. It's not right, but luckily for the tort, most can survive. I rescued a leopard (female that I do now believe is Male) off of craigslist about two or so years ago. She was kept in a ten gallon, she was barely bigger then a hatchling, she was about two or so at the time and she couldn't walk only tried to scoot along and her beak was over grown. With a big enclosure, proper diet, outside grazing time and hydrotherapy, she (he) is now walking like a champ, my best grazer and she is almost caught up to the size of my other two that are the same age as her. Good luck and glad you decided to give her a better life.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have a rescued leopard too . He was found in a field minus a foot, about 2/3 years old and 9" long with some pyramiding, also underweight. He wasn't claimed in spite of attempts to find his owner so we're stuck together. The vet told me they often get abandoned because of the cost of keeping them. Why they aren't taken to a rehoming centre I don't know. Anyway mine is doing well now too.

Well done for taking yours on in spite of his problems, it sounds like he is in safe hands now.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Congrats. It is amazing what they can survive. My 1st leopard I got as a hatchling and did everything wrong. Not as bad as you describe, but he grew and was never sick until I started trying to fix his environment. He is much happier now and his new growth is smooth. Good save!

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Here are a few pics of her outside today. Her nails are ground flat from being on rough ceramic tile all her life. Previous owner said she's about 5 yrs old. She's got a lot more weight to her now. I don't think it's the amount of food but all the water she took in the last two days.

1438174608709.jpg 1438174632554.jpg 1438174683760.jpg 1438174738217.jpg

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone for the kind words. In the past I've paid top dollar for the "perfect turtle or tortoise." Although I still paid cash for her (leopards go for crazy amounts of money in Canada), it certainly feels much more satisfying knowing I saved one from a long agonizing life. She's definitely the special one in the family now.

Wisconsin
@mchong9606 :

Hi! Navigating on my phone is difficult, do you have a thread with more recent photos and how she's doing?

Such a beautiful tort, makes me so excited to see the markings on my baby leo.

Last edited by a moderator:

firewire

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma City
Here are a few pics of her outside today. Her nails are ground flat from being on rough ceramic tile all her life. Previous owner said she's about 5 yrs old. She's got a lot more weight to her now. I don't think it's the amount of food but all the water she took in the last two days.

Nice coloring!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't expect an answer. . . this is a pretty old thread. The OP hasn't visited the Forum since last April.