Healthy poop?

Amberstarr

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I am new to my little new Sulcata friend. I know he wasn’t fed properly by the previous owner (only leafy greens) but I’ve switched him to grass and weeds. His poop is less watery, but I’m wondering if it looks healthy?E9DA1FFB-5106-4B3C-8E79-2852DC2B90C3.jpeg

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I am new to being a tortoise owner too but this is what I got,

the poop should be brown or greenish-brown. A healthy tortoise produces quite firm, well-formed poop.

If they contain undigested food or are runny, it could because of internal parasites. If this isn’t the case, then a low fiber diet could be why. This can also be caused by a change in diet.

I am not as knowledgeable as a lot of other people so I could be wrong but to me that looks like it is watery becuase of the change of diet. It sounds like he did not have much fiber in his diet before. Usually that will just work out but if it doesn't then you might want to get it checked by a vet. I am glad your taking such good care of him!

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

The only thing wrong with that poop is it needs a bit more fiber to make it firm up more.

Not related to the poop though, is the substrate. Your tortoise needs a bit more humidity to live in and you can't get that using alfalfa pellets as substrate. You need something you can moisten.

Can we see pictures of the tortoise, please?

Amberstarr

Arizona
1B258570-315E-430B-A16A-70F98A3157D9.jpeg
I have humidifier in his tortoise house and mist it down every night and morning. Here (s)he is eating some grass

Amberstarr

Arizona
Hi, and welcome!

The only thing wrong with that poop is it needs a bit more fiber to make it firm up more.

Not related to the poop though, is the substrate. Your tortoise needs a bit more humidity to live in and you can't get that using alfalfa pellets as substrate. You need something you can moisten.

Can we see pictures of the tortoise, please?
I just posted a picture. I’m not sure if it shows as a reply, but it was meant for you :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
View attachment 288149
I have humidifier in his tortoise house and mist it down every night and morning. Here (s)he is eating some grass
Your tortoise looks really good and appears to have had good conditions where it was before. I would definately change the bedding you are using and get a nice enclosure you can control humidity. Those rabbit pellets are not a good substrate at all, and an open tortoise table will not provide what your young sulcata needs.

Please read through the care section at the top of this sulcata section on "how to raise a healty sulcata" and follow those recommendations.

The poop you picture does not look bad, but not really good either. Although still quite young, your tortoise does need more fiber in the diet. Grass clipping are great for a young sulcata as their diet becomes more and more grass as they age.

Here's the poop you can look forward to as yours get larger. From my male that I hatched in 1998 and is now quite large...

IMG_0303.jpg

Amberstarr

Arizona
Your tortoise looks really good and appears to have had good conditions where it was before. I would definately change the bedding you are using and get a nice enclosure you can control humidity. Those rabbit pellets are not a good substrate at all, and an open tortoise table will not provide what your young sulcata needs.

Please read through the care section at the top of this sulcata section on "how to raise a healty sulcata" and follow those recommendations.

The poop you picture does not look bad, but not really good either. Although still quite young, your tortoise does need more fiber in the diet. Grass clipping are great for a young sulcata as their diet becomes more and more grass as they age.

Here's the poop you can look forward to as yours get larger. From my male that I hatched in 1998 and is now quite large...

View attachment 288153
Thank you for the tips! He is already 2-4 years old. How long is the humidity vital to his growth? I’m surprised he’s grown so well because he ate spring green mixes only, was in a small terrarium with no moisture and alfalfa bedding. And no natural sunlight.