Heat bulb??

Peyalice

I have a russian tortoise and I wanted to know the best heat bulb in order for the basking area to be 95 to 100 degrees. I am in a budget for this. So nothing to expensive. Any suggestions? I was thinking, a Zilla day white light incandescent spot bulb?? What do y'all think??

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
Peyalice said:
I have a russian tortoise and I wanted to know the best heat bulb in order for the basking area to be 95 to 100 degrees. I am in a budget for this. So nothing to expensive. Any suggestions? I was thinking, a Zilla day white light incandescent spot bulb?? What do y'all think??

You can go to lowes, home depot, or even walmart and get a 65 watt flood bulb for a few dollars. Mine is a halogen 65w flood that cost $5.00 (compared to $12 for a zoomed or zilla) at lowes. Just adjust the light up or down until you get the desired temperature.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The above bulb should serve you well for heat, but what are you doing for UV?

Don't let the pet store talk you into a coil type bulb. Real sunshine works best.

Peyalice

Oh I got a uv bulb! I wanted to make sure I got that for her and she has uv. But her basking I don't think is warm enough, so I wanted to get a bulb that would get warmer. :)

And I am going to take her out every opportunity I get in the summer. But it's winter now. :( but in the summer she will get real sunshine. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need to know the type of bulb you are currently using to tell you if it is effective or possibly dangerous. No bulb that you would want to use for UV will work in the pictured fixture.

I recommend a florescent tube, or a mercury vapor bulb.

Peyalice

Tom said:
We need to know the type of bulb you are currently using to tell you if it is effective or possibly dangerous. No bulb that you would want to use for UV will work in the pictured fixture.

I recommend a florescent tube, or a mercury vapor bulb.

Ok, I will make sure then that I get the right uv bulb. I think the person I got her from didn't know what she was talking about. Thank you so much for telling me! Really appreciate it! I will get the right bulb for my little girl then. I did get a new heat bulb which I'm excited about. Instead of the 80 degrees that the lady had her at she is now at a steady 95 degrees! Oh and since were on the subject, I've done a lot of research about night lighting, everything I read said that as long as your house doesn't get below 55 degrees you don't need a night heat light such as a black or red light. Is that correct? My house doesn't ever get below 64 at night and I haven't turned on a night heat light. Is that ok for her?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never tested the lower limits, but 64 should be no problem for a Russian.