Heat Emergency

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Skurts CHE which is less than a year old broke some time during the night. His cage is currently 73 degrees. I ordered a new one which will be here Monday but in the meantime how can I provide heat? I have a bunch of UTH’s but they won’t provide adequate ambient heat I don’t think. Will a regular light bulb heat his cage? If so can I use it with a thermostat? Probably a dumb idea but I’m freaking out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes a regular bulb will heat it. A thermostat can be used however it will turn the bulb off and on. I would try a 40 and 60 watt and see which one will maintain fit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can use a regular incandescent bulb temporarily.

Why not go to the pet store and buy another CHE right now? When the new one arrives on Monday, you can keep it as a spare. Invariably, my bulbs, lights, thermostats, and heaters always fail the night before a holiday or some other time when getting a replacement is impossible. This being the case, I always keep spares of everything on hand.

daniellenc

Maryland
Unfortunately leaving today is off the table. My husband broke his femur so I’m on nurse duty until Monday when his Mom comes to town. However when I went to change the CHE out for a bulb it turned back on by itself. So it looks like I’ll have two CHE’s and had just decided on RHP for his big boy cage ugh.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When you can, I would try to find out what happened or switch out the fixture. It could be a fire hazard, depending on what happened.
As stated, it's always good to have extra on hand and you do have too use a ceramic socket with the Che's.
I have only had one that failed. It has a piece of the shiny part missing. Have no idea if that's the reason or not. My original from 2011 still working.

daniellenc

Maryland
It’s definitely a ceramic fixture and it’s seemingly working normal again. I’m just not sure what happened so as soon as the new one is here I’m swapping it out.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
73 F ain’t gonna bother tortoise . Just keep it in your bedroom . Most bedrooms won’t drop below 60F