heat & humidity regulation

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hey.... I haven't read everything....a quick question..... is there a variable range for an enclosed 75 gallon tank for my baby sulcata? The tank is much larger than his original 20 gallon and I have been able to get the cool side to warm side accomplished, but my humidty is harder. The heat bulb dries out the warm side... I stir the coir and add water & mist.......husbands does the baths daily and I mist more but it is a struggle with the heat light to keep a constant high humidity. Now I admit, I do not keep it sloppy wet.... but I would like to struggle past the 20-50 range into the 60-80 at least more consistantly. Should I just make it more marshy to get to the point? I do have live plants in it and a large terra cotta dish so there is water available. I was just afraid that the marshy wet would promote respiratory & shell problems. We purposely did not get a redfoot because we wanted to avoid the swampy-ness. Sigh.... little man is such a trooper to put up with such a dumb tortiemommy!!! :0)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have the tank covered? If not, cover it. Sullies can have it pretty sloppy, but you should be able to get proper humidity without that. Also, be sure your gauge is a good working one. Those cheap disc like things from Petco etc, are just that, cheap.

Oh, an RI would happen when it's wet and too cold. Wet and hot does not. That's one reason why a good temp gauge is needed too. For refresher of needed, Toms threads are below in my post.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
Yep...covered. The 75 gallon is deep.... how did you know I have two of the round ones in there:p. Lol

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
Gotcha! Swampy today and hooooomid tomorrow! The baby thanks you!!!! Lol:p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
A member recently posted an interesting picture. His old hockey puck like humidity gauge next to his new digital one. Barb, do you remember that photo? The readings were far off from each other!
Good thing you'll be ditching those :)

For the record, my leopards are in closed aquariums with above 80% humidity all the time. In fact, one chamber never drops below 90% and it's usually at 99%. I hardly have to spray water. I may go 2 weeks with no spraying and my substrate isn't swampy. It's completely dry to the touch!

Humidity is water vapor in the air, not how soggy the ground is. So, it is completely possible to house a sulcata, leopard or even redfoot in high humidity with no soggy dirt ;)

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
Very interesting....are your sides condensed or rainy? Funny, my "cool" side is usually slightly drippy from the lid.....usually not as much condensation on the heat side but it always feels really humid and warm when you open the lid. Now I gotta check!!!! Thx so much all:heart:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: heat & humidity regulation

Theresa Angeletti said:
Very interesting....are your sides condensed or rainy? Funny, my "cool" side is usually slightly drippy from the lid.....usually not as much condensation on the heat side but it always feels really humid and warm when you open the lid. Now I gotta check!!!! Thx so much all:heart:

My chamber sides only have condensation when the bedroom temperature (the room the enclosure is in) is significantly cooler than the ambient temp inside. In other words, when the AC is on. If my bedroom is 80ish the condensation is minimal.
I almost always have condensation on the top.
My cool end (80F) has more than the basking side.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
Ok...that sounds good... I will go get a "real" humidity guage tomorrow.... my husband thinks I am obsessing but I know I am not! :0) I have never had such a cute little face that made me run out and buy weird things and worry so much!!! I am in love with these little guys LOL Thx for all the advice.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I paid $9 for this at Walmart. I have a few of them. Temperature, humidity and 24recordings of highs/lows. I love it.

Attachments

• 467 150.jpg
    467 150.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17