Heating elements, thermometers, hygrometers... Oh my!

Leo1986

5 Year Member
Morning forum!
I set up my new and improved high sided humid and toasty living quarters last night for the Leo's. I have a 100 watt CHE (I also have a 60 watt but it doesn't even seem to get very warm) and a mercury UV bulb.

Curious to know what thermometer you all like that will turn the CHE off and on to maintain temp... And which hygrometer is reliable.

Do you recommend that I get additional heat source or should this be enough?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382625127.837152.jpg
Spike was a happy camper this am so I thought I should let him say thanks for the awesome tips I've already gotten! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Any digital thermometer/hygrometer from the hardware store will work.

For temperature control you will need a thermostat. I got mine from LLL Reptile. Get the 1000 watt model, even though you will never run that much power through it.

Only your thermometers can answer you question as to whether you need more heat sources or not.

Leo1986

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Any digital thermometer/hygrometer from the hardware store will work.

For temperature control you will need a thermostat. I got mine from LLL Reptile. Get the 1000 watt model, even though you will never run that much power through it.

Only your thermometers can answer you question as to whether you need more heat sources or not.

Are the cheaper options ok? They have some for like 30 bucks or should I get a better one?

Also valid point about not knowing if I need more heat ;) it mighta been a silly question.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here is a meter you can get from Home Depot for ten dollars. Works great and goes in the enclosure.

Attachments

• 1382628037819.jpg
    1382628037819.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 38

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thermometers are usually $10-30 depending on features offered.

Thermostats are usually around $30. There are much more expensive fancy ones available, but I've never needed one of those. The $30 ones work perfectly for me in every application I've ever needed them for.

Leo1986

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! Looks like I'm headed to Home Depot and petco (or internet)!